Pop up restaurants/bars

Joined Jul 7, 2014
Was wondering if any of you have started/been involved in a pop up? Do you need to go through health services/alcohol control/law enforcement(fire code)/insurance? You need a hood system right? Been thinking about starting one but don't want to get shut down as soon as the doors open because I didn't get the bathroom inspected or a temporary license. I understand the idea of a pop up, I would just like to go about it the legit/legal way. Thanks!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
     I don't have first hand experience but there have been several in my area. I think of it more as a pop up picnic. There are different variations. 

Much of the food prep is done beforehand, simple last minute things like dressing salads and plating are done on site. But the "customers" are notified by email first. The meal and setting can be simple or elaborate.

They have been done on the NYC subway as well as various parks and other outdoor settings. One local group did one on a small island near the edge of the Hudson river. 

So you or you and several or many friends decide on a menu, decide who will do which course, plan the logistics for such things as tables, chairs and silverware and send out notices. The "Pop up" happens at a predetermined place and time. 

There used to be several websites about them but I don't know if they are still around. 

All of which means that I'm not sure how much the authorities are involved.  A pop up is only done once in a given location and lasts only for the duration of a meal. By the time any authority was notified and showed up, it would be over. 

Joined Jun 28, 2016
     I don't have first hand experience but there have been several in my area. I think of it more as a pop up picnic. There are different variations. 
     Much of the food prep is done beforehand, simple last minute things like dressing salads and plating are done on site. But the "customers" are notified by email first. The meal and setting can be simple or elaborate.
They have been done on the NYC subway as well as various parks and other outdoor settings. One local group did one on a small island near the edge of the Hudson river. 
So you or you and several or many friends decide on a menu, decide who will do which course, plan the logistics for such things as tables, chairs and silverware and send out notices. The "Pop up" happens at a predetermined place and time. 
There used to be several websites about them but I don't know if they are still around. 
     All of which means that I'm not sure how much the authorities are involved.  A pop up is only done once in a given location and lasts only for the duration of a meal. By the time any authority was notified and showed up, it would be over. 

This is just one pop up. And the easiest to do. The other scenario is to rent out a space for a month and operate like a restaurant. This can be done. People that I know who have been involved with one usually rent out a space that already has the appropriate licenses.

There are many ways to go about this. There are companies that also provide logistics for you and can walk you through the steps. My advice is fine someone in your area who has done this before and partner up with them or work the next pop-up to gain some experience.

Joined Apr 5, 2007
I ran a pop up resto the last two years (my current bricks and mortar place is an extension of that idea).  

Obviously, where you are operating will determine what you will need by way of insurance, health codes ect.  I can speak from my experience only!

We had a liscened and inspected prep kitchen where the vast majourity of the work was done.  Food would be transported to the location of service and finition would occur there.

So much of what you are asking re alcohol and hoods will be very much dependant of who you are partnering up with to host your events.  By and large your best bet is to follow local regs for off-site cateering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom