Chef Forum banner

"PoorMan's - Burnt Ends" Project

5K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  Iceman 
#1 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... So maybe that title got your attention. This is my "PoorMan's - Burnt Ends" Project. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]It's just after 1-am Tuesday morning at my house, but since I still haven't gone to bed and woke up yet, it's still Monday for me. I'm gonna start this project tomorrow. A long time ago I made a comment that I couldn't cook brisket for neither love or money. I remember being given all kindsa help. Well ... I've not yet since really made a decent brisket at my house. I've done it just fine at work, but that's not the same. As it is I'm not even gonna make a brisket for this project, just burnt ends. And I'm not even using a point for this, I'll be using a chuck roast. Some of you may know that I've put up a few videos. That was sorta a sleepwalk on the food side for me because they were dishes that I can make in my sleep. NO chance in chances can I do this that way. I've done a bunch of research up until now. That experience was interesting. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos. That was good and bad. Good in that I learned a lot of things. Bad in that pretty much the only constant in all the vids is chuck roast and heat. Almost every guy has some different twitch or habit or preference. They all did use some type of smoker/grill though. I'm outta that club right outta the gate. I don't have a smoker and my grill is gas. I'll be going with the oven. *** If you're gonna ditch me here I do appreciate you reading this far. Anyway ... my objective is to figure out the best way for me, and in a coupla weeks make a vid showing my way to go. I hope to do a much more professional video personality job by then too. I figure it'll probably take me at least three(3) tries to get there because of the different techniques I've seen. What the hey, right ... It's not too costly and it's still BBQ-beef. How tough is that to enjoy?!?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I went out and got all the stuff for "Trial #1" today. That was fun. The freakin' stores are dealing with the collateral damage from the virus. What I mean by that is that they're not really getting all the usual product that they would normally get. Some of my favorite items aren't available. The more I think about it though ... that really shouldn't be a problem. The technique is the key ... not the flavors of the players. I'll still be using someone's favorite rub and sauce. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Anyway ... that's it for now I guess. Come on back tomorrow if you're interested to see the first episode of my project. Feel free to converse at will. I welcome outside thoughts. It's kinda like the play-by-play and color commentary for a ball game.[/JUSTIFY]

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

See less See more
#27 ·
Here it is ... A plate of tasty ...

10.jpg
[JUSTIFY]It's good. ... Tender and tasty. They really sucked up the sauce. That was a 50/50 proposition. It didn't have real bark like the first but the seasoning was really good. That is what sucked up the sauce. Being that it had more of a steak-flavor to the sauce it was a good thing ... NO bark was not all so good. ... More lessons learned. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Again like the first time ... I'm not unhappy. ... This dish wouldn't be sent back to the window. Next time I'm going back to sealing up the pan with the foil instead of wrapping. Next time I'm going with 250* from the gate in-between the 275* of the first and the 225* of this time. I think I'm gonna just let the oven go through the rest time too. Next time I'm going to use a regular popular well-known BBG seasoning for my rub. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Funny thing ... as a tangent ... I found a couple small plates that I knew I had somewhere. ... They were where my wife put them but forgot. OK then. ... "Episode #2" is in the books. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]*** Here's a tease for next time ... I'm gonna start with the meat in cubes from the get-go.[/JUSTIFY]

#28 ·
[JUSTIFY]HELLO Everyone ... I'm shopping tomorrow and I'm gonna start cooking about this time for eats on Tuesday nite while watching the debate. Remember now ... it's not really "tomorrow" for me yet because I haven't gone to bed, slept and woke up. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]I'm gonna go with a standard regular common rub available at any grocery store ('da Jewels or the store from my "SHOPPING" vid). This time I'm gonna cube it up from the get-go going in. I've watched a coupla vids where guys did that ... and got good results. Anyway ... That's the story. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]*** TANGENT ... This past Friday evening I posted up three(3) new videos. I hope you'all have had a chance to WATCH them ... ENJOY them ... and COMMENT on them. ... PLEASE DO THAT FOR ME. [/JUSTIFY]
<< "LASAGNA" ... "SHOPPING" ... and my entry in September's "Challenge" ... "SHRIMP w/ ROMESCO SAUCE". >>

#29 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... EPISODE #3 all started. After rewatching some videos I realized that I didn't need as much time as I was thinking. The guy that I thought did the best job got it done in only four(4) hours. ... WHAT (?)[/JUSTIFY]

1.jpg
[JUSTIFY]There's not as much in the pic today. The gremlin is my 3 1/2-yo great-grand-daughter. She has decided to help today. [/JUSTIFY]

3.jpg
[JUSTIFY]I'm going with cubes from the get-go. I started them in the big bowl. You might be able to see the gleam from the standard binder of whoosty sauce and liquid smoke. I like using the big bowl. I throw the stuff in and roll it around with the spoon. Everything gets mixed-up nicely with all the chunks of meat bouncing off each other. I'm showing off the seasonings for this episode. Like I said before ... I'm going "Name Brand" ... stuff easily available at most grocery stores. [/JUSTIFY]

2.jpg

4.jpg
[JUSTIFY]All the chunks are seasoned and in the pan. I would have liked a little bit more room ... but we're just going with the flow. ... The flow is going into the oven for 2 1/2-hours @ 275*. ... We'll see how it looks after that. [/JUSTIFY]

#30 ·
OK ... Here's what we've got after 2 1/2-hours.

5.jpg
[JUSTIFY]WOW. ... Shrinkage took good care of that "little extra room" idea. I'm good with the look of that bark too.[/JUSTIFY]

6.jpg
[JUSTIFY]Back in the big bowl and rolled around with some sauce. I thinned it out just a little bit with a little of Jimmies Black Extra Aged Bourbon. [/JUSTIFY]

7.jpg
[JUSTIFY]Into the casserole with half a cup of the beef broth and a coupla more shots of Jim Beam Black.[/JUSTIFY]

9.jpg

8.jpg
Sealed-up and back into the over for another 2 1/2 hours @ that same 275*

#31 ·
HERE WE GO!!! ... out of the oven after wrapping up ...
Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Cuisine

I'm thinking it's looking great.

FINISHED PRODUCT ... I glazed it up a bit with some more very thin sauce.
It's going on the road to eat while watching the debate so I'm not plating it up.

Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Dish

I'm liking this one!!!

Reactions: chefwriter
#32 ·
Well I’ll be... I was biting my tongue because I was thinking that the fluids would cause too much of a braise. I generally have an aversion to covering any “oven BBQ”. You seem to have made it work!

For me it will be meatball sandwich and a martini while watching the debate. Maybe two martinis!

#33 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... That was very interesting. Out of the oven I had a very hard time not eating the whole pan of ends. This was the best result yet. ... 2+ hours later the meat seemed very dry. It was very nice and fall-apart tender ... but dry meat-wise. What the what is going on?!? ... I'm thinking ... and hoping ... that it's the meat and not me and my techniques. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]All-in-all though ... there were NO survivors. ... NO leftovers from a 4+lb roast eaten by 4-people 2 of which were women. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]My latest suggestion: ... Taste-Test any new commercial rubs before you try them out. Therein you won't be surprised when you eat what you have cooked. I used 2 big-named rubs for the first time. "Rufus Teague" and "Jack Daniels". Both were very good ... and similar to each other. ... And each ... here's the surprise ... had some real SNAP. I liked it ... but it was a little over-the-top for 2 of the others. ... Sissy-Pansys. I'm just letting you know that you should check these things out. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I'm gonna try this way again. ... Next time I'm gonna adjust the temps and timing for open and covered cooking. ... STAY TUNED![/JUSTIFY]

#34 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... Tomorrow we're going with "Episode #4". [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I would have done this sooner ... but I was waiting for the meat to be on sale ... $2.99/lb. I'm gonna use seasonings from my cabinet like a buffet ... "a little of this ... and a little of that ..." more like I was seasoning a steak-roast. I'm also gonna play with the times/temps a bit. Last time was 2 1/2 hours @ 275* both open and covered. This time I'm going with 2 hours open @ 300* and 2 hrs covered @ 250*. Maybe that will give the texture and moisture we're looking for. Who knows? ... We'll [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]see when we see. [/JUSTIFY]

... STAY TUNED!

#35 ·
Here we go ... EPISODE #4 ...

Food Bottle Ingredient Table Drinkware
[JUSTIFY]Like I said ... the buffet of seasonings. Same binder ... liquid smoke and woosty sauce. I added a coupla things that just happen to be in the cabinet getting in my way. Dash is a good utility player decent at the plate as a pinch-hitter. That "YUZU" stuff in back is something I had for a different dish I was making some other time that I forgot to use anyway. I did find a little bit left in the Chicago Steak bottle. Weber Seasonings are in general my standard favorite. [/JUSTIFY]

Food Table Ingredient Bottle Recipe
[JUSTIFY]Cut up and seasoned ... waiting for the oven to come to temp. ... We're going with 300* for 2-hours. This chunk of meat disappointed me a little for all the hard fat it had that I trimmed of. ... My 2 side-kicks "Shemp" (blk) and "Jester" (brn) were not at all unhappy getting some snacks. Anyway ... We'll be back in a coupla hours.[/JUSTIFY]

Dog Vertebrate Dalmatian Carnivore Dog breed

#37 ·
OK ... I pulled it out. ... I don't know ... but it looks kinda nice and barky to me.
3.jpg
The sauce I used is as you can see ... "steak style".
4.jpg
[JUSTIFY]Both sauces ... some "Jimmy" ... and a cup of coffee.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]We've all been here enough ... I didn't think you'all needed another pic of it sealed up in foil. It's now back in the oven @ 250* for another 2-hours. ... We'll see it when we see it. ... Stick around. [/JUSTIFY]

*** My 3 1/2-yo "helper" just got home from school. ... We'll see what she's got to say.

#38 ·
OK ... HERE WE GO ...

Packing materials Plastic wrap Plastic Electric blue Transparency
Out of the oven resting. ... My wife said you needed a pic of the wrapped up dish.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine
It's looking great ... but it may be that I added a bit much sauce liquid.

Food Chair Ingredient Staple food Tableware
Here's My "Helper" again ... showing you a tasty bite of DILICIOUSNESS.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Dishware
All plated up ready to meet Mr.Fork ...

[JUSTIFY]I'm not altogether sure what the story is here. It's the same all four(4) times. ... Tender fall-apart meat with very acceptable bark ... that tastes GREAT out of the oven ... but seems to lose it's internal moisture by 20-minutes out. Could it be that this is the best it's gonna get?!? Am I looking for a quality that the meat just doesn't have?!? Am I missing some part or doing some part wrong?!? ... I don't know. I will say that this was the best however. I did like #3's flavor more though even with my wife thinking/saying it was too snappy. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I'm gonna try one(1) more time changing the cooking order to the way people cook turkeys. ... Wrapped first ... then open. Could it suck ... yeah sure. ... But who knows? ... It could be the "WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER". By-the-way ... feel free to make some comments. I can use any help I can get. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.