Chef Forum banner

"PoorMan's - Burnt Ends" Project

5K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  Iceman 
#1 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... So maybe that title got your attention. This is my "PoorMan's - Burnt Ends" Project. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]It's just after 1-am Tuesday morning at my house, but since I still haven't gone to bed and woke up yet, it's still Monday for me. I'm gonna start this project tomorrow. A long time ago I made a comment that I couldn't cook brisket for neither love or money. I remember being given all kindsa help. Well ... I've not yet since really made a decent brisket at my house. I've done it just fine at work, but that's not the same. As it is I'm not even gonna make a brisket for this project, just burnt ends. And I'm not even using a point for this, I'll be using a chuck roast. Some of you may know that I've put up a few videos. That was sorta a sleepwalk on the food side for me because they were dishes that I can make in my sleep. NO chance in chances can I do this that way. I've done a bunch of research up until now. That experience was interesting. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos. That was good and bad. Good in that I learned a lot of things. Bad in that pretty much the only constant in all the vids is chuck roast and heat. Almost every guy has some different twitch or habit or preference. They all did use some type of smoker/grill though. I'm outta that club right outta the gate. I don't have a smoker and my grill is gas. I'll be going with the oven. *** If you're gonna ditch me here I do appreciate you reading this far. Anyway ... my objective is to figure out the best way for me, and in a coupla weeks make a vid showing my way to go. I hope to do a much more professional video personality job by then too. I figure it'll probably take me at least three(3) tries to get there because of the different techniques I've seen. What the hey, right ... It's not too costly and it's still BBQ-beef. How tough is that to enjoy?!?[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I went out and got all the stuff for "Trial #1" today. That was fun. The freakin' stores are dealing with the collateral damage from the virus. What I mean by that is that they're not really getting all the usual product that they would normally get. Some of my favorite items aren't available. The more I think about it though ... that really shouldn't be a problem. The technique is the key ... not the flavors of the players. I'll still be using someone's favorite rub and sauce. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Anyway ... that's it for now I guess. Come on back tomorrow if you're interested to see the first episode of my project. Feel free to converse at will. I welcome outside thoughts. It's kinda like the play-by-play and color commentary for a ball game.[/JUSTIFY]

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
OK ... so I've started the project. Here are the ingredients I'm going with:

1.jpg

[JUSTIFY]I couldn't find/get my usual Weber Seasonings so I went with the 2/$3 McCormicks. Some guys, about half, use a binder to hold on the rub. Most all used yellow mustard. One guy used olive oil and another used woosty sauce. The mustard guys said that it added NO flavor. (?) What? ... I'd rather think it does and find out I'm wrong. All things being equal I'm going with a yellow honey mustard. I'm also going with the woosty sauce. It's been a player in my hanger-steak seasonings and it's got a good resume. I'm also thinking what-the-hey ... NO smoker, so maybe try liquid smoke. [/JUSTIFY]

2.jpg

[JUSTIFY]I got this brilliant idea to mix the rub right into the binder. 10-seconds after doing that, the idea lost it's brilliance. I've got much more binder in the bowl than rub ... and I included a lot of rub. It painted on nicely but you can see there is not all the rub we're looking for. Maybe it all dissolved into the binder? ... Still ... I re-dusted the roast with some more rub before putting it into the oven (the pic doesn't show that). [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]The oven is going at a soft 275*. We'll see what 3-hours gives us. The video guys were looking for an internal temp of anywhere from 160* to 190*. I'm gonna be happy with anything in-between.[/JUSTIFY]

#5 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... after 3 hours I wasn't all that crazy about the result. The internal temp was just over 160* and it wasn't really barky. I gave it another hour. I pulled it out and checked the temp again and it was over 165*. I mopped it over with the "binder-rub" and poured maybe half of the can of beef broth in the pan. I sealed it up with foil ... jacked the oven temp to 300* ... and set the timer for another 2 hours.[/JUSTIFY]

3.jpg

4.jpg

#6 ·
[JUSTIFY]I've noticed a coupla things on the videos that seems really goofy-stupid (yeah ... coming from Mr.Expert). Lots of these guys use absolutely the wrong knives ... types of knives I just don't like ... or knives that have a hard time cutting anything (DULL). Some guys though are using nice slicers. That's my choice ... but I don't have one. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Another thing I see is that these guy don't brush off their grill grates. What the hey guys. They look really nasty. Am I missing something?!? Is it some kinda flavor profile cooking on grates with all sorts of past debris items sticking on from whatever you grilled last?!? WOW. [/JUSTIFY]

#7 ·
You might ought to avial yourself of a sous vide unit some time. I have a Joule and it is a really handy piece of kit. Before that I used (and still do for liquids like 40hr. bone broth) a DTC with immersible probe connected though a separate heat source. (I use a hot plate)

#8 ·
[JUSTIFY]Look ... I'm sure they're really cool. It's a nice conceptual way to cook, and I've seen some very nice dishes come from using a S-V. I watched a vid of a guy that makes these Faux-burnt-ends. The looked absolutely great ... BUT ... they were in the SV for 36-hours. That's nuts. [/JUSTIFY]

#9 ·
I think I’ve seen the video you’re following. Seems to me that cooking covered and with that much liquid is a sure way to extend the cooking time and not get a bark. Last time I opted to change my pulled pork method because of a YouTube vid it was frustrating. Too nearly twice as long as they said. But it’s worth trying, huh... only way to learn!

And I’m with you... SV for BBQ is just wrong. Like trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. :)

#10 ·
[JUSTIFY][SIZE=18px]brianshaw[/SIZE] ... Don't confuse me. Are you talking about the SV vid? ... I'm NOT following any (1) video. I've watched maybe (20). There are some things I like from many, some things that crack me up and some things that I can't figure out yet. YouTube is really being a wiseass to me. Some vids that I watched were very good ... and now I can't find them. ... LOL @ Me I guess. [/JUSTIFY]

#11 · (Edited)
Here it is out of the oven after being covered. ... It's been resting for half an hour.

5.jpg

[JUSTIFY]You can't see from the way I placed it ... but there are (3) parts there. It's falling apart on its own. Any other time I would turn this into "BBQ Pulled Beef" and call it a day. It was not at all easy cutting this into chunks. On top of that ... there were some serious "fat" difficulties. Some of it made the meat fall apart. Some ... with heavily barked sections ... got eaten and that's that. * The upper left corner is not at all burnt. [/JUSTIFY]

6.jpg

[JUSTIFY]Here are the "cubes". I was very very careful stirring them up with the sauce. Brown sugar was not needed. This all went into a casserole and back into the oven at 200* for 20-minutes. [/JUSTIFY]

#12 ·
Here we go ... END PRODUCT ...

7.jpg

[JUSTIFY]I was happy. I'm surprised how well the bark turned out. I learned a lesson about the binder / rub relationship. There were however, some issues. First off ... I think I may have over-cooked it. That could be the reason for the falling apart. Secondly ... the meat where there was NO fat-helper was dry. I think that came from the over-cooking. Last ... all of the cubes were fall-apart tender which probably came from the o-c. I think I just got redundant there a bit. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]So there it is ... "Episode #1" of the Project has been completed. It had a few lessons for improvement ... but it didn't suck. ... This dish would have NOT been sent back to the window. ... Come on back at the end of the week and we'll do it again. [/JUSTIFY]

#14 · (Edited)
OH YEAH ... PLUS ... this fat is even better than the fat from my wife's pork chops ... (I'll deny I ever said that).

[JUSTIFY]brianshaw ... Watch the SV video. ... It's interesting. I'd love to try the finished product. He claims it's "med-rare". Medium rare chuck roast is a real stretch, but I'd love to try it if this guy is serious on the tenderness. [/JUSTIFY]

#15 · (Edited)
[JUSTIFY]OK ... so the more videos I watch ... the more my head explodes. So many of the vid-guys do so many of the same things ... BUT they leave one thing out from other guys. ... Apparently there is not just one expert way to make these fake-faux-poorman's burnt ends. I'm also getting sick that some of these guys ... actually the ones that I respect the most ... rag the bageebies out of these right after telling you how good they are. ... "NO ... they're not at all as good as brisket." (or some other comment expressing the same point). ... DUH, Mr.Brain Surgeon, we knew that going in. The times and temps of the grills are all over the place too. I would LOVE to actually taste and see the tenderness and moisture of the meat. I found that my first batch had serious overall moisture, but that was from the fat. The meat seemed dry to me. I blamed that on over-cooking ... so we'll see in future trials. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Something I'm not really catching when I watch vids of guys cooking brisket is the amount of fat they leave on the "fat side". I'm aware that the rendering fat keeps the meat moist during cooking (that's it right?). But what I don't understand is that they all season it with just as much rub as on the meat side. Sure ... the true brisket lovers are gonna eat all that nice barky fat when its on the plate ... but I've seen just as many customers trim it all off because NO WAY are they gonna eat that fat. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]It's interesting to me all the different choices of rubs all these guys use. Everyone's got a favorite. I've looked up a number of these. WOW! ... NOT AT ALL CHEAP. Now I know that you get what you pay for. I understand that well. It's just like wow, someone's making out good in the product-$ department. I think for the next episode I'm gonna go with a basic rub of the ingredients that are in almost every rub recipe from Google. ... We'll see. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Anyway ... I think I'm going to the store tomorrow for everything I need to cook up another batch. Thanks a lot for reading through this. I hope you'll all come back for "Episode #2". [/JUSTIFY]

Reactions: chefwriter
#16 ·
I just went to a meeting where 20 people discussed ceviche (Hispanic marinated seafood). The conclusion emend that there are at least 30 different varieties that their families make... including one payaso who makes it with ground beef. There’s never just one way! As a person who likes the fat more than the lean... I’m waiting with bated breath for your round 2. Ding, ding... bring it on!

#18 ·
[JUSTIFY]WOW ... since this afternoon at 'da Jewels, this has become a suck project. It was all sunshine and balloons until the on-sale $1.99/lb. chuck roast became the $5.99/lb. regular price chuck roast. At least it's a nicer, although larger cut. I was aiming for 3+ lbs. but this one turned out to be 4.5 lbs. It was the lightest one they had out of nine(9). The guy actually pulled each one out and weighed them for me. After all of that I could hardly say "NO thank you.". [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Still ... I'll be getting up early tomorrow (I hope) to do "Episode 2". I'll see'ya then. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]*** 'da Jewels is the grocery store I shop at. It's actually "Jewel / Osco" Foods in the midwest and other fine places. ... "da Jewels" is "Chicago-speak". [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]............................................................................................................................................................................................ Unknown.png
[/JUSTIFY]

#19 ·
OK then ... So much for the "getting up early" idea. Here we go ... "Episode #2".

1.jpg

[JUSTIFY]
2.jpg
[/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]Looks pretty don't it.[/JUSTIFY]

3.jpg

[JUSTIFY]This time I'm going with the basic, standard, common, everybody uses it, most found in Google recipes rub combination. ... S&P, paprika, onion and garlic. Two(2) common ingredients I left out are dry mustard powder and cayenne pepper. Two(2) more common ingredients I included are celery salt and coriander. I used the grinder for the salt after the rub because I just don't like using as much as the rest of the world. The binder is again the liquid smoke and woosty sauce. I gave mustard the day off. I also didn't have any new brilliant ideas. I painted on the binder and sprinkled on the rub separately. It's going into a 225* oven for the next 4-hours. [/JUSTIFY]

#20 ·
[JUSTIFY]OK ... We've got a situation that could be because of a coupla different things. ... It's been a coupla hours past the planned 4, and internal temp is only +/- 155*. ... I'm thinking that could be because my oven can't keep a low temp of 225*. OR ... 225* is not really enough heat to get the internal temp up past 160*. ... OR ... it's hit a stall. ... OR ... I don't have any clue about what I'm doing (that could very well be the reason). [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]I just pulled it out from the oven a bit to take the temp and the top wasn't entirely wet. The rub was still dry in a few spots. That's what makes me think either the time/temp is not long/high enough ... or that my oven sucks. Being totally unsure about those ideas makes me think I don't have any clue. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]Anyway ... I jacked the temp up to 250* and I'll check it again in half an hour. ... We'll see. [/JUSTIFY]

#21 ·
You hit a stall. I do 250 with no problem of temp stability... but th cook time is more like 10 hours than 4. That’s my gripe with some of the YouTube cooks... it’s impossible to slow-roast faux-BBQ in 4 hours unless your doing chicken.

When doing shoulder or butt for pulled pork I put it in at 9PM, go to bed, dream every time I inhale, and shred at 8 or 9 the next morning. Open roast... no tinfoil, parchment, stock or beer.

#22 ·
THANKS. ... I'm feeling just a tiny bit better now.

I'm gonna go now and look ... I'll be back ...

#23 ·
OK then. ...

Food Ingredient Recipe Cooking Dish
I pulled it and the temp broke past 160* (on my simple $4 thermometer anyway). You can still see a little dry spot on the corner. I wish that wasn't there.

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Beef
I gently painted on a butter / woosty sauce blend.

Ingredient Cuisine Dish Comfort food Food
Wrapped ... and going back in. ... at 250* (I think/hope) ... for 2 more hours. ... We'll see.

#25 · (Edited)
LOL.

[JUSTIFY]I just pulled it out. ... resting for half an hour. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]I learned another lesson. ... Don't wrap it in the paper it came in. It's not gonna be big enough to get a good wrap ... probably. Mine wasn't tight enough because I see some juice in the bottom of the pan. ... We'll see. [/JUSTIFY]

#26 ·
Well ...

Food Ingredient Beef Cuisine Steak
It seems OK but still a bit wet on top. Not real barky but really highly seasoned. I threw it back into the oven for 15-minutes to dry it up. That did sorta work. When I pulled it out I let it rest for another 15-minutes.

Food Bottle Liquid Ingredient Fluid

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Dish
[JUSTIFY]It cut up nicely, easier than the first. A funny thing about doing this with chuck roast ... because of the larger lines of internal fat, not the marbling but the heavier stuff ... there turns out to be nuggety chunks that come out. ... They don't make it to the sauce bowl. [/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]
[JUSTIFY]I decided to use some steak sauce along with the Famous Dave's (the flavor profile of those nuggets gave me the idea). I got a bit lazy too and didn't really set up the pic all so much. ... The next pic you'll see will be the end result. [/JUSTIFY]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.