polka dots on my chocolate!

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by nowiamone, Mar 7, 2006.

1. nowiamone

nowiamone

I have got a popular espresso chocolate dessert which we serve in a diner style coffee cup and saucer with a colored napkin; dollap of grand marinier whip cream, a little sprinkle of sugared pecan bits and with "steam" made of a scroll type design of chocolate set in the top.

My "steam" is looking spotted and blotchy.....a little diseased. I've never been a candy maker; I've been through all my umpteen thousand cookbook (also found that I don't own candy type of books) for clues; and I can't drag anything out of my old, faulty memory except a vague recollection about moisture. With the kitchen closed up tighter for the winter I'm sure it's changed.

I've usually just melt some chips or a baking choc bar, and pipe some steam/scrolls on foil; peeling them off when they've cooled and storing them, stack and un covered on the counter (cool area of the kitchen). Isn't there something you add to the chocolate to keep the gray/dull look from happening?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sounds like bloom. It can happen when you don't temper your chocolate. Tempering is the only thing I know that can deal with that problem.

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete hit the nail on the head. It's bloom, nothing harmfull just cocoa butter rising to the surface. Proper tempering or better temperature control will stop that from happening.