Please help!! Question!

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by jezabel03, Dec 19, 2002.

1. jezabel03

jezabel03

Hello everyone,

I am really hoping someone here can help me. My great-grandmother, who was Austrian, made these cookies that I guess were Austrian also and I am having a hard time identifying them.

I think there are only like 4 or 5 ingredients-- flour, sugar, eggs, butter and a lot of ground walnuts. You make the dough and then press the dough into metal cups that look like bear claws, which is what my family calls them.

I am trying to find these metal cups to buy, and when I search on "bear claws," I have no luck. Just hoping someone might have seen or heard of these things before.

Thanks for your help!

~Jezabel

2. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Check out New York Cake and Baking Supply atNY Cake and Bake

If you can stand their surly attitude, you can generally find anything you may want.

One note, please. Try to avoid posting the same message in multiple forums. Those of us who are regulars often go to "check new messages" first, and it's always full of repeated postings of the same message.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I deleted the other 2 posts, so all the replies will end up here. The only mold I can think of that looks like a bear claw is a madeleine. (But it's really more like a scallop shell). Is this what you're referring to?

4. jezabel03

jezabel03

Thanks for your help-- I don't think it's the same as a madeleine, but I am going to check the site out that the other person mentioned. Maybe the cookie molds we have are worth something, they are at least 50 years old!

5. thinkvaio

thinkvaio

hey maybe its something like mexican wedding cookies they have alot of ground walnuts...