Please help pan conversion height/depth

Joined Jun 4, 2021
Hi, all!

I'm trying to use a specific baker's carrot cake recipe, only scaled up for my Mom's Bday next week. I have all the area (79"), volume (11c) and baking time conversions to hand, but my problem is the unknown height of the original end product.

The original recipe calls for a single 7" sandwich tin/pan. I would like to bake three layers of 10" rounds.

I haven't been able to find an accurate photo of the original cake, the only ones I've found (attached) show it as a layer cake but the recipe clearly says *one* 7" tin... I'm picturing it @ 4" high, like a Bundt without a hole, which won't work for me as a three layer cake.

Without some advice, I think I may try baking one recipe per 10" pan, knowingly shortening each layer's height, hopefully avoiding a towering monstrosity. Or find another recipe that's more suited and/or to which I can add my own touch.

I'm very capable in the kitchen/baking but I know some of you pros, students and hobbyists know much more than I do. I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210604-184503~2.png
    Screenshot_20210604-184503~2.png
    931.8 KB · Views: 0
Joined Dec 18, 2010
For purposes of computation, I’d assume a height of 2 inches for a cake layer.

The recipe you are using sounds suspicious and could be in error.

I find it very annoying that many cake recipes don’t provide weight and volume of batter. I annotate my recipes as much as I can so pan substituting is easier.

A good resource for this kind of question (and cake recipes) is Rose Levy Bernbaum’s cake book

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Are you sure you want to do 3 layers? Carrot cake is dense and rich. Especially if you use a traditional cream cheese frosting it could be very overwhelming. Suggest a 2 layer cake instead.

Joined Jun 4, 2021
Are you sure you want to do 3 layers? Carrot cake is dense and rich. Especially if you use a traditional cream cheese frosting it could be very overwhelming. Suggest a 2 layer cake instead.
Thanks brianshaw for your input. I have decided to change the recipe I'll be using for a simpler (kinda) one which is for a 9x13 pan. If I've done my calcs right, I will be baking only two 10-inch rounds with 1.5x the recipe. Wish me luck!

Joined Dec 29, 2019
Thanks brianshaw for your input. I have decided to change the recipe I'll be using for a simpler (kinda) one which is for a 9x13 pan. If I've done my calcs right, I will be baking only two 10-inch rounds with 1.5x the recipe. Wish me luck!
I just pour water 2/3 level into a cake pan and measure the liquid.
Thats how much batter you need.
Fill pan 2/3 with batter to avoid overflow during baking.
Make extra, bake the extra batter in muffin tins.
It beats coming up short.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I just pour water 2/3 level into a cake pan and measure the liquid.
Thats how much batter you need.
Fill pan 2/3 with batter to avoid overflow during baking.
Make extra, bake the extra batter in muffin tins.
It beats coming up short.
The power of working backwards / with what you have. This idea has escaped so very many.

Top Bottom