Please help: Packaging handmade filled fresh pasta without it sticking to each other

Joined Jul 13, 2021
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well. It's my first ever post on ChefTalk, so I am not sure what the etiquettes of the platform are. Nevertheless, I am very excited and hopeful that I would get some help from all of you. (Sorry for such a long post, I wanted it to be as clear as possible).

I run a small (vegetarian) fresh pasta business in India. We mostly do ravioli. The response from the customers has been very good regarding the product. Though I have had issues with the packaging as I have to make sure none of the ravioli touches each other. This is because one of our more prominent fillings are cream cheese. Due to its high moisture context, the dough becomes soft after a point of time and ends up sticking to each other. I make sure there is a lot of semolina in the packaging (and hope it doesn't stick). Also, the pasta is to be stored in the freezer. The dough we make is semolina and water (no egg).
I have had packaged ravioli before (AH in the Netherlands and Rana in Italy). (Tortelloni from Rana can be found here: https://www.rana.com.au/products/filled-pasta/filled-pasta/ricotta-spinach-tortellini . As you can see, the pasta is kept together without any flour (or preservatives/additives to stop it from sticking) and is to be stored in the fridge and yer it does not stick together. They mention no preservatives either, which would possibly stop the pasta from sticking to you each other in the bag.
A few observations I made were:
  1. Even for the filling of the pasta says goat cheese, ricotta is a common ingredient throughout all the filled pasta. I think that might be because ricotta has a lower moisture content(?)
  2. Most of the packaged ravioli uses breadcrumbs in their filling. I am expecting that that soaks the moisture out of the filling, hence keeping the outer layer dry.
  3. One possible reason why my ravioli sticks and theirs don't is that I make eggless dough while theirs is an egg-based dough.
  4. It might be possible that their dough has an extremely low water content. But with us, it would become tough to stick the ravioli together if the dough is relatively drier.

Please do let me know if I am thinking the right way given the four points above. I am hoping you all can help me figure out a way to pack the ravioli without them sticking to each other. I would be very grateful if you can help me understand why my ravioli sticks and their's don't. Also, how is it okay to store their ravioli in the fridge for two weeks while the one made at home should only be stored in the freezer (from what I have read online)?
Also, this is what pasta from AH looks like: https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi62699/ah-verse-tortelloni-verdi-ricotta-e-spinaci ; it comes in a box with all the pasta being in contact with each other and doesn't stick at all. (This is also supposed to be refrigerated and not frozen). When you touch a raw piece, it does not feel like wet dough or a dry shell. It just has a soft layer of dough.

Thank you very much. Your patience to have read it and help in any way possible means a lot. A good day to all of you.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Make you ravioli, place on parchment lined baking sheets, and place in cooler, uncovered to dry for an hour or two. The pasta will rehydrate when cooked. Also, you can dust with a bit of cornstarch once partially dried.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Oct 31, 2012
When the ravioli are ready for packing, sprinkle a generous amount of corn meal or semolina over them. That should help prevent sticking.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well. It's my first ever post on ChefTalk, so I am not sure what the etiquettes of the platform are. Nevertheless, I am very excited and hopeful that I would get some help from all of you. (Sorry for such a long post, I wanted it to be as clear as possible).

I run a small (vegetarian) fresh pasta business in India. We mostly do ravioli. The response from the customers has been very good regarding the product. Though I have had issues with the packaging as I have to make sure none of the ravioli touches each other. This is because one of our more prominent fillings are cream cheese. Due to its high moisture context, the dough becomes soft after a point of time and ends up sticking to each other. I make sure there is a lot of semolina in the packaging (and hope it doesn't stick). Also, the pasta is to be stored in the freezer. The dough we make is semolina and water (no egg).
I have had packaged ravioli before (AH in the Netherlands and Rana in Italy). (Tortelloni from Rana can be found here: https://www.rana.com.au/products/filled-pasta/filled-pasta/ricotta-spinach-tortellini . As you can see, the pasta is kept together without any flour (or preservatives/additives to stop it from sticking) and is to be stored in the fridge and yer it does not stick together. They mention no preservatives either, which would possibly stop the pasta from sticking to you each other in the bag.
A few observations I made were:
  1. Even for the filling of the pasta says goat cheese, ricotta is a common ingredient throughout all the filled pasta. I think that might be because ricotta has a lower moisture content(?)
  2. Most of the packaged ravioli uses breadcrumbs in their filling. I am expecting that that soaks the moisture out of the filling, hence keeping the outer layer dry.
  3. One possible reason why my ravioli sticks and theirs don't is that I make eggless dough while theirs is an egg-based dough.
  4. It might be possible that their dough has an extremely low water content. But with us, it would become tough to stick the ravioli together if the dough is relatively drier.

Please do let me know if I am thinking the right way given the four points above. I am hoping you all can help me figure out a way to pack the ravioli without them sticking to each other. I would be very grateful if you can help me understand why my ravioli sticks and their's don't. Also, how is it okay to store their ravioli in the fridge for two weeks while the one made at home should only be stored in the freezer (from what I have read online)?
Also, this is what pasta from AH looks like: https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi62699/ah-verse-tortelloni-verdi-ricotta-e-spinaci ; it comes in a box with all the pasta being in contact with each other and doesn't stick at all. (This is also supposed to be refrigerated and not frozen). When you touch a raw piece, it does not feel like wet dough or a dry shell. It just has a soft layer of dough.

Thank you very much. Your patience to have read it and help in any way possible means a lot. A good day to all of you.

The moisture is coming from the filling, its not the dough,
drying the pasta will not stop moisture from soaking through from within.

Anyway, did you drain the ricotta, otherwise it tends to be sloppy.

Top Bottom