Please Help, I am new here

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by goodwitch, Jan 3, 2013.

1. goodwitch

goodwitch

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi, I have a Wolf 24" gas griddle. My griddle is now 3 years old. I use it occasionally and mostly for breakfast foods, mainly omlettes and eggs. Here is my dilemma. About every couple of months, I give it a good cleaning with Scotch Brite Quick Clean Griddle Liquid. After this deep clean (it makes the griddle look new again) it takes me about 4 to 5 uses to get the non-stick properties back. Now I do "season" it right after cleaning, but I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Also, I don't want you guys to think I am not a clean cook or something by not giving it this super shiny clean look after every use, but if I did that, I would never have any non-stick properties to my griddle and therefore never use it. In between uses, I scrape it, let it cool, wipe it down with a cloth. The surface is always left smooth and clean, however it does get browner after every use, which is why the deep cleaning.

So today I bought a grill brick and I am afraid I will ruin my griddle with it. Any suggestions or comments you can help me with?

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Get it cooking temperature hot, apply a liberal amount of oil ( think swimming, acts as a lubricant) apply a fair amount of pressure to the grill brick, work the entire surface. I always do the edges first, then work the field in a circle 8 pattern. The brick will leave behind a lot of grit and gum up, again make sure there is plenty of oil. When you think its clean, scrape it all off with a flat scraper and do it again. Scrape, wipe with dry paper towels until you think all the grit is gone, Then wipe with a damp cloth towel until clean.

Ditch the chemicals........ Those should be only used to get stuff off that a brick won't, usually around the perimeter where cooks don't want to spend the time cleaning properly. This stuff is also taking your surface down to bare metal.

3. goodwitch

goodwitch

Exp:
    At home cook
    So if the grill is seasoned, will the brick allow the seasoning to stay, or will it take it off every time?

4. goodwitch

goodwitch

Exp:
    At home cook
    You would think after 3 years I would have things figures out, but I have always had this feeling I wasn't doing something right. Thank you chefbuba for your help.