Please Help - Christmas Gift for a Chef

Joined Dec 7, 2015
Hello,

Can you please give me some gift ideas for my girlfriend who is a professional chef? I would truly appreciate it.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Nothing kitchen related. As a chef she stand all day in a hot kitchen. So she needs a spa treatment with massage to destress.

Aside from that I have no clue what to get for someone I don't even know.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2009
A weekend at a B&B in Napa valley.....Nothing more relaxing than Napa valley in the spring. She would enjoy the food and wine and beauty of the area.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Spa treatment sound about right. And take the plunge and cook her a nice dinner on her day off. She will appreciate the thoughtfulness and effort. A candle or two probably wouldn't hurt. 

Joined Sep 9, 2012
Second the getaway, it's almost impossible to really have days off unless she's not in the area. I like mountain cabins with no signal reception or wifi and a hot tub

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
For the people I am closest to time spent together enjoying each others co is more precious than a gift. Spend time together dining out, sharing mutual activities, or exploring new and favorite pastimes together. For everthing else, there's always MasterCard, Kansas city steak, Godiva, and Harry Winston ;-).

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008

​
For the people I am closest to time spent together enjoying each others co is more precious than a gift. Spend time together dining out, sharing mutual activities, or exploring new and favorite pastimes together. For everthing else, there's always MasterCard, Kansas city steak, Godiva, and Harry Winston ;-).
Very true!  I was actually reading somewhere that money CAN buy you happiness but only if you spend it towards experiences rather than material things.  Trips, adventures, skiing, taking classes, concerts, spas, things like that .... things that will live in your memories.  Stuff ultimately gathers dust.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
A gift I always appreciated, especially as a younger cook (not sure how long your GF has been in the business) was a new knife or a gift certificate to buy one.  Find out exactly what she needs or wants, in  knife and do not deviate from what she says.  While I always loved getting good knives, or that 1 knife I really wanted or needed, I also hated it when a family member would buy me a mid-priced knife, thinking they had gotten my the best gift.  I appreciated the thought, but those knives never left my home kitchen, or, more often, if there was a gift reciept, it was returned for something that I could use.

I also second a gift certificate for a spa day, or massage.  Or if you want to do the B&B thing (another great gift) make sure to keep the dates open-ended.  Nothing worse than recieving that kind of gift with a specific date that I couldn't make because of work.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Unless it is for something like a specific restaurant or meant to purchase tickets to something the gift card is just not helpful for me.

IMO as always.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Maybe helpful is not right word.

Cannot say unwelcome because then I would sit in the corner...giftless.

mimi

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

Unless it is for something like a specific restaurant or meant to purchase tickets to something the gift card is just not helpful for me.

IMO as always.

mimi
Gift cards are not my favorite option, but on the other hand I prefer them to being given something I won't ever use i.e. I would much prefer a $100 gift card to buy 1 good knife than receive a $100 knife set that has 8 crappy knives.  So if you really do not know what your chef friend/spouse/signifcant other needs or wants then a gift card is less of a waste of money.

Joined Jun 27, 2012

IMO as always.

mimi
Gift cards are not my favorite option, but on the other hand I prefer them to being given something I won't ever use i.e. I would much prefer a $100 gift card to buy 1 good knife than receive a $100 knife set that has 8 crappy knives.  So if you really do not know what your chef friend/spouse/signifcant other needs or wants then a gift card is less of a waste of money.
True that.

mimi

cerise

Banned
Joined Jul 5, 2013
What i like is stuff given to me as gifts, with or without dust.

:) I got it. I was joking with you, I.e. stuff with pet hair on it, from eBay, etc.

I've been watching the shopping channels, and there's some kewl ideas. Saw some items that interested me, but sometimes it's difficult to shop for other people.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
IMO as always.

mimi
What do you mean? You can always do something with a gift card, especially make it a regift if you don't want it. Nowadays most gift cards are prepaid credit cards that are as good as cash. Seriously if I gave you a gift card to williams Sonoma you couldn't make use of it? Or Macy's? Look at the positives!

Top Bottom