Please Help - Christmas Gift for a Chef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tonyhovsepian, Dec 7, 2015.

1. tonyhovsepian

tonyhovsepian

Exp:
    Other
    Hello,

Can you please give me some gift ideas for my girlfriend who is a professional chef? I would truly appreciate it.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nothing kitchen related. As a chef she stand all day in a hot kitchen. So she needs a spa treatment with massage to destress.

Aside from that I have no clue what to get for someone I don't even know.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A weekend at a B&B in Napa valley.....Nothing more relaxing than Napa valley in the spring. She would enjoy the food and wine and beauty of the area.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Spa treatment sound about right. And take the plunge and cook her a nice dinner on her day off. She will appreciate the thoughtfulness and effort. A candle or two probably wouldn't hurt. 

5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Second the getaway, it's almost impossible to really have days off unless she's not in the area. I like mountain cabins with no signal reception or wifi and a hot tub

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    For the people I am closest to time spent together enjoying each others co is more precious than a gift. Spend time together dining out, sharing mutual activities, or exploring new and favorite pastimes together. For everthing else, there's always MasterCard, Kansas city steak, Godiva, and Harry Winston ;-).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Very true!  I was actually reading somewhere that money CAN buy you happiness but only if you spend it towards experiences rather than material things.  Trips, adventures, skiing, taking classes, concerts, spas, things like that .... things that will live in your memories.  Stuff ultimately gathers dust.

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like stuff. With or without dust.

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A gift I always appreciated, especially as a younger cook (not sure how long your GF has been in the business) was a new knife or a gift certificate to buy one.  Find out exactly what she needs or wants, in  knife and do not deviate from what she says.  While I always loved getting good knives, or that 1 knife I really wanted or needed, I also hated it when a family member would buy me a mid-priced knife, thinking they had gotten my the best gift.  I appreciated the thought, but those knives never left my home kitchen, or, more often, if there was a gift reciept, it was returned for something that I could use.

I also second a gift certificate for a spa day, or massage.  Or if you want to do the B&B thing (another great gift) make sure to keep the dates open-ended.  Nothing worse than recieving that kind of gift with a specific date that I couldn't make because of work.

11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Dusting is the worst.

mimi

12. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Then there is trying to hold off on mopping till it stops raining 'cuz the dog and Grands will just track it up (Texas is seriously lacking in mudrooms).

Then you walk thru in a pair of white sox .........

Where's that mop?

mimi

13. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Where do you stand on pet hair? As long as you don't gift her one of those ugly Xmas sweaters. HA!

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What i like is stuff given to me as gifts, with or without dust.

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Unless it is for something like a specific restaurant or meant to purchase tickets to something the gift card is just not helpful for me.

IMO as always.

mimi

16. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Maybe helpful is not right word.

Cannot say unwelcome because then I would sit in the corner...giftless.

mimi

17. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gift cards are not my favorite option, but on the other hand I prefer them to being given something I won't ever use i.e. I would much prefer a $100 gift card to buy 1 good knife than receive a $100 knife set that has 8 crappy knives.  So if you really do not know what your chef friend/spouse/signifcant other needs or wants then a gift card is less of a waste of money.

18. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    True that.

mimi

19. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    :) I got it. I was joking with you, I.e. stuff with pet hair on it, from eBay, etc.

I've been watching the shopping channels, and there's some kewl ideas. Saw some items that interested me, but sometimes it's difficult to shop for other people.

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do you mean? You can always do something with a gift card, especially make it a regift if you don't want it. Nowadays most gift cards are prepaid credit cards that are as good as cash. Seriously if I gave you a gift card to williams Sonoma you couldn't make use of it? Or Macy's? Look at the positives!