Please help choose a knife block

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by spartanus, Jul 24, 2014.

1. spartanus

spartanus

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am spending some time outside of the US right now and need help finding a knife block that I can buy on Amazon, ChefKnivesToGo, CutleryAndMore, CutleryAndBeyond, or similar sites - and then have it brought to me by a friend. The problem I am having is that I need to find the right knife block online, I cannot just go to a cutlery or knife store and choose it there or ask a consultant for advice. Initially I thought finding a knife block would be an easy matter, but local stores have nothing that can accommodate knives longer than 8", and I have a hard time browsing through Amazon's and other site's catalogues.

I have the following set of knives (all Wusthof, in case that matters for their sizes):

- one 10" chef's knife,

- two 8" chef's knives,

- one 7" santoku,

- one 4.5" utility and one 3.5" utility,

I might buy some more small knives (like a 6" utility or another 4.5" utility, or a filleting knife), but I think I won't be buying any large knives in the immediate future. I think the limiting factor here is that I have four (comparatively) long and wide knives. And as I don't need one of those huge blocks that have 6 or 8 slots for steak knives in addition to their other 10 to 15 slots, I am having a hard time finding a knife block that can accommodate my knives.

I would immensely appreciate any and all advice (preferably with links, if possible, to relevant sellers' websites).

Thank you so much in advance!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Finding a block that fits a variety of wide blades such as your multiple chefs and santoku is difficult. It gets harder when you have 10" knives or longer as well. 

I really wish the "Kapoosh" line of knife blocks supported 10" blades. It's very versatile. But it's only 8" deep.

3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's one of the reasons I went to a magnet on the wall instead.  It also clears up counter space.

4. spartanus

spartanus

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yeah, I know that now, that's why I was asking. :)

5. spartanus

spartanus

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I tried to do that. But we have a 13-day-old baby girl now and my wife says it's dangerous and also she never liked the magnetic holder in the first place, said it looked scary, what with the multiple chef's knives and everything. :)

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Some people mount them on the inside of a cabinet door, out of the way.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. spartanus

spartanus

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yeah, but my drawers don't allow that and I don't think it's too convenient - for usage, not storage. I love my knives and don't want to put them out of sight completely. :)