Plates and Serving Dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jake t buds, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    We all discuss food and how to prepare it, but the discussion over where to put it usually falls into the "plating" category and ends there. We stack food, use geometry, proportion and color, but how does it's frame of reference affect the experience?

Use this thread to discuss china and plates, from slabs of salt to slabs of slate and gold rimmed fine china. Flat, scalloped, round, square, etc. What about the color? I wonder about how color affects our appetites just like the color of a wall affects our moods. 

Why did you choose what you have and how conscious are you of your choice? How does the "look" change how food is perceived either in a photograph or while consuming the dish? 

Go ahead and discuss the entire table setting if you wish. 

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh my, I'd have to get my father into this discussion. He worked in the fine china industry for 40-something years. At my parents place, we have tons of stuff. Gold rimmed, Meissner blue onion style and so on, and so on. Personally. I simply prefer white. Just the blank canvas.

While I think that blue onion, for example, is absolutely beautiful china, I'd have no idea how to plate on something that has so strong a pattern in itself.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have always disliked eating food from heavily patterned plates. I don't dislike patterned rims, just hate patterns on the base of plates, bowls etc.

4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For our wedding registry, I was lead by the hand by a representative of the local 'big department store' of the day in Honolulu, Liberty House (now Macy's).

She had this multi-paged document for me pick out something in different category, small kitchen appliances, flatware, glassware, barware, etc.

When it came to the china choice, I knew exactly what I wanted, Wedgwood in white.

I found this, it's called Oceanside

I have service for 8

I just adore the delicacy of them

the bottoms are flat, so it plates all foods beautifully

I really should use it more often

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good question.  If I had it my way I'd live inside Williams Sonoma for sure.  I like food best on white plates, and I prefer square or rectangle shaped plates.  But for rustic presentations I do like patterned dishes as well.

One day I wish to have wooden plates.  They're impractical but I have some platters that are wooden and they look lovely filled with food.  I have a wooden salad bowl, and wooden cheese platters.  What's more appetizing than a rustic steak on a wooden board?

In fact a quick search led me to these, not a bad price, worth having a look into http://artesanaimports.com/collections/wooden-plates

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @Koukouvagia  oh Miss KK, I have oodles of that sort in my cupboard that I brought with me from Honolulu /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    Our salad bowl was bought in Maui. $35 bucks and it is the most beautiful wood bowl. Better than anything stateside for the money. 

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    YO!

Talk to me, we MIGHT be making a trip back home next year

9. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wood can be nice, indeed. I have some very rough wooden plates which I use mostly for charcuterie and/or cheese plates - classc Bavarian "Brotzeitbrettl".

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    30 years ago, we bought a complete set of Eschenbach porcelain, white and ultra simple design. It's all gone now. Plates, while still looking modern,  were becoming too small for my taste.

I don't want another complete set anymore but I regularly buy a few large plates of this and that, an eclectic mix if you like; allows to go creative, using different styles of plates for each course.

On my wish list, a few selected pieces of these very popular plates, designed by Pascale Naessens, Belgian ex-model and now also the most successful cookbook writer too;

I love dark plates; colors go so well on them. Still looking for a few in this shape and with that artisanal hand-glazed look;

Picture; Kobe Desramault, Flemish foodies; http://www.visitgent.be/nl/foodies

11. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Plating food and obviously choice of plates, has become more and more an essential part of planning a dish. Look at this stunning collection of plated food and their plates, all done by chef Tom Vanlysebettens;

http://tomvanlysebettens.be/fotos

12. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I prefer simple, plain ultra white plates for plating, the more modern, the better. Nothing frilly on the border.

I also like soft pastels, creamy yellows, and anything wooden or metal, be it bowls or platters.

I think the reason I haven't made the effort to purchase china is because at the end of the day, I prefer the simplicity of a nice white restaurant plate. I don't want my food to have to compete with patterns and designs. I don't know how to work with them.

I'd love china for the holidays but not for presentation of everyday food.

The site Chris posted above is exactly what I would love to find in dishware.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like my plain white dishware made by Apilco and purchased from Replacements Ltd..

14. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I like the white Mikasa Homestead Wheat pattern we've had for almost 20 years.  It's a timeless pattern - simple, but elegant.

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I received these as a wedding gift and never used them. Shrug. I have issues with off white and beige. I gave them away recently after I didn't want to devote the storage space to them anymore. I did keep the cups though.

16. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Our first few years - Navy, grad school - we didn't have space/money for anything permanent, but when we got our first house we chose Villeroy & Boch for its reputation of restaurant-service durability. We chose their Manoir pattern in plain white, and have been abusing it ever since.  It's held up really well and we've picked up a few serving pieces in the Twist Alea pattern which has a nicely colored rim.  I haven't the faintest idea what Twist Alea means, but we think they're good looking.

Mike

17. colin

colin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Basic white plates from the restaurant supply store.  You never have to worry about matching.

18. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Gpa Van was an engineer with the Missouri-Pacific line.
    Doing some rearrainging last week and stumbled across a box full of odds and ends of dining car china my mom saved for me ( was too low brow for my sister)
    Fell in love all over again.
    Made a note to see about finishing my collection.
    Will take awhile as anything and everything RR related is wildly popular and things are hard to find as well as pricy.
    Thanks Jake for lighting a fire under my a** !

mimi

19. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Granted, if we were at l'Auberge du Pont de Collonges, I wouldn't expect to be served anything from the menu on Chinet but I doubt it would affect the taste or even my enjoyment of the dish even if it was. Then again.......I can't say I wouldn't be influenced some just by the mere fact of being there in the first place. LOL

For the home, we didn't choose a service pattern for our wedding and it wasn't until our 5th anniversary we settled on something. The DW finally chose Wedgwood, Strawberry and Vine. It's a basic white, bone china with a moderate strawberry and vine pattern on a semi-fluted rim. She rarely will use the service because it's been discontinued for 10 years now (at least it was last time I tried to add to her set) and we can't afford to replace it. For every-day, she chose a plain white, wide rim service that can be seen in some of the posts I've made. I believe it's called Great White?

For the restaurant........I lean toward a similar choice as the every-day but maybe, depending on the restaurant, an under-decorated rim (at the most a simple logo for proper placement in-front of the guest) for the same reason echoed previously in a post or two.

However, I'd like to add........I tried to strive for balance of the food and garnish with no regard to the plate other than it be clean. I'd like to believe I succeeded, then again,............it's subjective and not a thought process that would have ever come close to earning a star.......but that wasn't the idea to begin with.

20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Note to self...

Take pix of my Great grandmother's collection of depression/pressed glass service piece that I was bequeathed, and share with the class