Plated versus Buffet

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by jenni belle, Feb 22, 2006.

1. jenni belle

jenni belle

Does anyone have a set price difference between their plated menus and their buffet style menus? How much more do you typically charge for a plated meal?

2. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Hi Jenni,

What I normally do is I have a set price for one, two, and three entree choices, $25.00, $30.00, $35.00 pp., for both plated and buffet type events. Obviously, price accordingly, this is just an example. But, if someone orders a plated menu and there are three choices for their guests......$35.00pp. I find I make the same amount of money...What I loose in food cost on a buffet I save in labor. Visa-Versa.

Hope this helps....

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    or the best of both worlds, servers at the buffet portioning out protein.

I like buffets alot.....plated are a pain when your offsite, you are at a space mercy and usually equipment is nominal if exstant at all. I've got a big wedding coming up with 3 meats buffet with heavy aps/station for 200 guests and the staging area has 4 walls, and regular 110 outlets! oh boy.

4. stancaters

stancaters

I usually charge a few dollars less, per person for a served dinner, but I charge 1 server per 15 guests. A buffet I charge 1 server per 25 guests and a couple of dollars more for the menu, as people will eat more food on a buffet.

5. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We charge more for a plated due to the staffing issues, and roll of courses, buffets can really hit you, lets face it, some groups CAN EAT!!!!!!! Can be a tough call, though I'm am personally fond of plated, a lil more classy, though my buffets are always presented actractivly and the quality is ALWAYS up to par with any plated meal.