Places not to go before you die

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by brook, Sep 3, 2010.

1. brook

brook

I heard a program about places you should go before you die. I am wondering if there are places you have been that you would absolutely not recommend. I'll start off with the Great Wall of China. Though a feat of engineering, I didn't find it particularly exciting and would not suggest going out of your way to see it, particularly if you have limited time. There are many other places to see and things to do in China.

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hong Kong.

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow Ishbel, That's a bit short. Any particular section or you just saying all of it is not to be borne?

4. brook

brook

Hong Kong has really good food, though.

5. catering101

catering101

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Antarctica...too cold there. /img/vbsmilies/smilies//biggrin.gif

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Haiti

7. bhtoad

bhtoad

Exp:
    Home Cook
    North Korea or ANY war zone.

8. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I agree! not good to to be in any war zone country. 

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Deridder, Louisiana.  been there, don't ever really need to go back nor recommend anyone visiting.

10. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Gunnar

I've visited the ex-colony a number of times.  Each time I have had bad experiences!  Last time, was in April this year transiting in the Business lounge.... NEVER again!  I love the service of Cathay Pacific airlines  - but that airport and the RUDE and obnoxious airport staff are simply not worth it!

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    gallup, new mexico

kayenta, arizona

kingston, jamaica

port au prince, haiti

joey

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  12. foodmeister

foodmeister

Exp:
    At home cook
    Funny I've really liked everywhere I've been to and I've been to Shanghai, Montreal, Chicago, Denver, Jamaica, Tokyo (for a night :|   ), Beijing, but I'd say if you can avoid Boulder, Colorado.  I did a stint at grad school there and I got food poisoning and had to quit due to that and other reasons and the people there were just horrible.  The whole town reaks of destitution and you can't get around anywhere without a car.  

13. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Gary, Indiana is pretty depressing.

14. lyniebeck

lyniebeck

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Pahokee, Florida    Depressing, depressing, depressing

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  15. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Camp Lejeune, North Carolina...beyond depressing

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    boulder, colorado...destitiute?...are you sure?  boulder is a very prosperous little/ big town... a college town....what century were you there in? and what town can you get around in without a car? cities maybe, towns maybe not so much...actually pearl street in boulder is a no car zone...pedestrian traffic only...AANND....i believe boulder was just voted as the 'foodiest town in america' (albeit, bon appetits' award).....sorry you had such a rotten time there an,d that the people were so horrible and, that you got food poisoning and had to drop out of school...does seem a bit extreme, though...anyway,on behalf of the people from the great state of colorado, i apologize...

joey

17. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I kept dropping in and out of grad school but then messed up and dropped in one time to many.  Kharma has a way of catching up. 

Speaking of college hijinks, don't get dropped off at the Bettaravia Road in Sisquoc while hitch-hiking down the coast.  

East Gary and East Chicago, Indiana were the most depressed, rust-bucket, ugliest, toughest towns I was ever in, each and both could have been missed without being missed.     

BDL

18. rachadunn

rachadunn

Exp:
    At home cook
    Bakersfield, California. Trucker stop. That's it. But really really amazing taco food truck right off the highway at a Chevron.

The Tenderloin in San Francisco. Scary.

19. the-boy-nurse

the-boy-nurse

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Binghamton, NY- Uglier and dirtier than buffalo, but w/ less to do and crappy weather too. I hate driving through the town, jersey is prettier. But I don't think anyone has Binghamton on their bucket list.

More to the OP's point

Honolulu was not that impressive. Kinda like Albany with a really nice beach, didn't do it for me. Of course I don't like people, and therefore dislike cities. But one must go through Honolulu to get to any other locale in Hawaii. So the airport should be one place you do go.

BTW, south Philly on garbage day mid August, not cool.

20. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So BDL, how long did you wait for a ride?

Or did you get smart and walk north to a better exit? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif (Cal Poly grad, that spent FAR too much time on 101 (Nipomo, Guadelupe (good food at both Jocko's and the Far Western)