Pizza

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gbhunter, May 1, 2005.

1. gbhunter

gbhunter

Hello,
    My husband and I were give a square pizza stone for our anniversary. He went to make a pizza, and when he took it out it was stuck to the stone. Is there something we need to put on the stone in order for the pizza not to stick?

2. kerryclan

kerryclan

...was the stone heated enough? I put my stone in the oven, turn it up to whatever temperature I'll be using (at least 450 degrees) and preheat the stone along with the oven. I've not had one stick to the stone, but I have had uncooked pizza stick to the peel, so I use parchment paper instead of corn meal. ;)

3. deltadoc

deltadoc

I've had my rectangular pizza stone since 1983. Three rules to always follow:

1. Never put a cold stone in a hot oven
    2. Never take a hot stone out of the oven
    3. Never wash the stone, the water will soak into it and you don't want a water-logged stone to cook with.

Other than that, I turn the oven all the way up to 550F and let it heat thoroughly (at least 45 minute - hour) before I slip the pizza off the peel onto the hot stone. Pizza has never stuck in all these years.

doc

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If your pizza slides off of your peel easily it should not stick to your stone, if you have done everything right. Here are a few reasons it might stick though.

1. As stated above, your stone is not hot enough. I always allow, at least, 30-45 minutes for my oven and stone to come up to temp.
    2. You allowed cheese to fall over the edge of your crust, melting and sticking to the pizza and the stone
    3. You pulled your crust too thin and sauce and cheese leaked through somewhere causing the dough to stick

All of these things happened to me when I first started making serious pizza at home. Since I've solved these problems I haven't had trouble since.

5. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
    I haven't run into a problem yet...but HERE'S a few tips on how to cook and care for your pizza stone.

good luck!

6. gbhunter

gbhunter

Well I think I may have killed my pizza stone. I tried to cook a pizza with some onion and mushroom. It seems that some of the onion and mushroom liquid seemed to have spilled on to the stone. Now I have these huge black stains on the stone.. They dont smoke or smell they just look ugly as heck. I hope I did not kill the stone.

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The stone is fine.

Phil

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A clean stone means the only pizza you make is DiGiorno. ;)

9. foodienews

foodienews

My pizza stone is very black, but the pizzas always come out very crispy.

I did read on a site one to soak the stone every once in awhile to clean it, but I haven't done it yet.

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know that I would recommend soaking your pizza stone. When mine gets too dirty I just wipe it down with a damp cloth. If you were to ever soak it, make very sure that it is completely dry all the way through before you cook with it or it will crack. Mine is totally stained but still cooks great, and no off flavors due to the staining.

11. andy m.

andy m.

When my stone gets dirty, I leave it in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle. Clean as a whistle!

12. chadgkiss@yahoo

[email protected]

like all the others use a hot seasoned stone
    you can use corn meal,fine or large or flour even seen it with seasme seed

13. chadgkiss@yahoo

[email protected]

not a good idea to soak your stone let heat cure it and maybe a little oil and salt to scrub off burnt on food never -soap or detergent-
    To much "JUICE" coming off your pie is probley from the toppings you put on it like mushrooms onions,etc...try slightly salting some veggies to draw out moisture or roast them in a pan before use
    meat toppings (no comment) i cook them raw on the pie

14. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yeah, I often use cornmeal so it slides from the peel onto the hot stone easily. I like the crunch too.

15. phylasso

phylasso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    What you can do i don't know  mabye you should try but one time when that happen i put Canola oil on the Dough and when it came out it was'nt stuck

16. phylasso

phylasso

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Also you can use cornmeal or flour sometimes that works

17. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Self clean cycle for mine also. It never leaves the oven and has a lot of stains etc. It doesn't hurt anything and I think they cook a little better once they are seasoned a bit. Worst mess I ever had was when I was just sliding the pizza off the stone and got bumped. Entire pizza upside down! I scraped off the bulk of it and let the rest burn off.

18. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Glad someone finally mentioned corn meal. Always a sure fire way to prevent any form of sticking....even in a pan. But the sesame seeds? not for pizza and I drw the line at Mexican pizza as an alternative flavor. Saw an Oriental pizza once at a place I worked at years ago. It was awful. Something about the combination of dough with the Asian ingredients. I'll stick with egg rolls and the like./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

19. addicted2food

addicted2food

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Yes, I've read that cornmeal is a good solution to that. Session data

20. chefguy

chefguy

Exp:
    Professional Chef