Pizza method request - Technique, Dough, Oven

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by keith grima, Feb 23, 2016.

1. keith grima

keith grima

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi Guys,

So basically I have decided to try out pizza :D, its something I have avoided as I believe it's really hard to master and requires correct equipment.

Do you guys have any videos or any sources that may help get me started, I am mostly looking for authentic/rustic recipies(pref Italian thin crust).

I was planning to try and cook it in a "tank bbq" having ashes on one side and cook pizza over a pizza stone or is an oven sufficient(250c)?

2. keith grima

keith grima

Exp:
    Home Cook
    and if you can recommend a book that would be awesome !!

3. andylewis

andylewis

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
  5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey keith, I make pizza at home in the top smaller oven of my dbl oven stove. My oven max temp is 550F degrees. This works well for me cooking the pizza fast in about 7 minutes. I use a think gage heavy duty 1/2 sheet pan, this keeps the bottom from cooking to fast. My wife picks up a 1 lb ball of pizza dough at the supermarket. I would cut the 1lb ball in 1/2 to using 8oz for each pizza. This is just the quick and easy method to have a quick pizza lunch. In some of my employee cafes I would use Italian bread loves cut in 1/3 to make Calzones. Again, a fast and easy way for my employees to get this done. All that has to be done is thaw, cut and let rest until ready to roll over for the Calzones. 

This is two pizzas from alb of pizza dough cooked in a 550 degree oven for 8 minutes.

Calzone

Most people don't go from "never making pizza" to world class pizza. Start off slow and get the feel working with a pre made dough before you make your own. After you do this we can talk about making your own dough, proper oven temp, and so on. Always remember quality in quality out............I saw a good pizza making video on you tube I'll look for it later.........Take care........Chef Bill

keith grima likes this.
  6. keith grima

keith grima

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yeah I agree bill, will start of slow and improve by time. Its just I try to gain as much knowledge as possible and try to not get into bad habbits if you know what I mean

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Peter Reihart's book, American Pie, is worth checking out. Describes all conceivable pizza styles. Another useful book is Jim Lahey's, My Pizza.

8. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You must really begin with the dough and its secrets. You master the dough, you master the pizza.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All this talk of studying, making mistakes, mastering things... try to forget it. Pizza is as complicated as you make it. Just make it and don't get sucked into head games about it. Pizza is dough, sauce, and some toppings.

I don't use a recipe to make dough. When I do it doesn't turn out well. I throw some flour, yeast, sugar, and salt into a bowl and mix it. I don't know how much water I put in there, enough to make it feel like dough. Let it rise even for just a few hours covered and then roll out your pizza crust. What's the big deal? You can't ruin it, I promise.

Go to Italy. Eat the pizza there. That's all you need to know.

french fries likes this.
  10. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Keith, the reason I want you to look into a pre made dough is to let you get the feel for the dough. When you make the pizza and work with the dough you will see how the dough works and what the results are in the finished product. After you work with this dough I'll show you a dough that is soft and can be formed into a flat pizza without rolling. The Pizza dough will be formed with you hands. Don't worry about bad habits just seek perfection knowing what and why your doing what your doing. When your looking to perfect a food it is just as important to know what you don't like. The sauce is easy, the cheese is easy, it's all about the dough and oven temp.............

11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If i only had known it was so easy...

12. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The dough is never that difficult. I think what's difficult is giving up the idea that it has to be perfectly round. 😄

13. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree, its easy to make good pizza, but it is difficult to make great pizza.  That's why the overwhelming majority of pizza places make okay to good pizza, but so few places make great pizza.

14. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, I make a lot of bread and pizza at home. I think the main problem is that at home you do not have an industrial-strength oven for pizza or steam injection for bread. Having said that, I found the best results occur when you do not have to have a lot of pizzas done at exactly the same time and you can turn a cookie sheet over in the oven to cook each one on top of. I find the cookie sheet works as well as a ceramic stone.

15. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If pizza was this easy to make then why is it there are so many bad pizzas being made. I agree pizza is easy to make. Great pizza is an art......I guess it all depends on what camp your in. I like to be in the great pizza camp.............100's and 100's of pizza restaurants in NYC, why is it only a handful have a waiting line to get in. When people ask a question in a Chef site I assume they are looking for something that is not run of the mill. 

16. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    If you want thin crust italian style you need a stone.  Cast iron is okay, but you end up with a bready type pizza.  My grill gets hotter than my oven so that's where I make pizza.  I can hit 800F without much trouble. 

17. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The concept of pizza at home is easy but the execution is often a totally different thing. Requires practice, practice, practice to perfect.

Store bought dough is a good expediency but results in "American" pizza, not Neapoliain. If that's okay then use it. For other pizza styles making the dough is generally required.

18. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A fault of beginning pizzaiolos is to overdue the toppings.

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you want an easy-cheesy-cracker-crust pizza it's not at all so difficult. Use thin flat-breads on a flipped cookie-sheet in a  550* oven for 6-8 minutes.

We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pizza originated in the middle east: flat breads topped with veggie leftovers.  Anyway there are a couple of "artisan" pizza venues around Atlanta with ovens fired to 1000F.  At one of them the crust of my pizza resembled and tasted just like the flat bread I get fresh-out-of-the-oven at an Afgani bakery in Roswell just north of Atlanta.