Pizza crust recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by svadhisthana, May 22, 2001.

1. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Annastacia,
    Check www.foodtv.com look up the "Good Eats" pizza recipe. The recipe called for kneading in a KA and I just tried this dough myself. It is wonderful. I hope this helps.
    Svadhisthana

2. nancya

nancya

If you like a thick crust, I use a modification of my basic bread recipe. I don't generally measure, but here goes:

2 TBSP olive oil
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup warm water
    2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
    2 1/2 to 3 cups flour

I don't even knead this dough, it makes a kind of rustic pizza crust. Just mix it up well, let raise for an hour or so. The dough should be sticky, not smooth like a well kneaded dough. Lightly flour the dough and stretch onto an oiled pizza pan [with a little more flour and some light kneading you can use it with a paddle and stone]. Let it rest a few minutes and keep stretching till it is the diameter and thickness you want. Top it and bake at 375-400 for about 20 minutes.

You can vary the texture and flavor by combining different flours including but not limited to whole wheat, semolina, bread flour, AP, etc. You can use flavored oils or adding herbs or parmesean to the dough.
    And yes, you could leave the oil out, but I like a more bread like texture.

I say, play with a recipe until you have developed a crust that you like.

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Doesn't real pizza dough include some semolina flour?

4. pooh

pooh

It seems to depend on the region. Some use it and some don't.

Many also NEVER add olive oil in the dough. They just brush it on before adding the toppings.

Kimmie posted a recipe that includes semolina at www.cheftalkcafe.com/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000251

:rolleyes:

My own formula is:

1 tablespoon dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)

It works very well in the KA with dough hook. I knead it for 8 - 10 minutes. 2 rising periods - first, about 1 hour, or until double in bulk, second about 45 minutes.

Divide in two and shape into balls. Cover and rise again for 15 minutes, while you work on your toppings.

I bake it at 550 degrees F in the bottom of the oven, on pizza stone, for 10 minutes.

:p

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: pooh ]

5. heidi

heidi

I have a recipe for a great pizza crust but my mixer (KA Ultra) can't seem to get it kneaded enough. I is tough and comes out of the oven white as a ghost.

Does anyone have a better recipe I could try and what sort of mixer do you all have - at home that is. :D

Thanks

6. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here's the recipe I use for pizza dough and baguette dough. I modified a recipe I had when one of my culinary instructors, the late Catherine Brandel, informed me that it wasn't wet enough, pizza and baguette dough should be fairly wet and have a good gluten structure.Sometimes I like to do a long rise in the fridge, it seems to develop a better flavor. Here's the recipe:

Pizza & Baguette Dough

Recipe By : John Paul Khoury,CCC
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :1:00
    Categories : Appareil

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups bread flour
    1 1/4 cups water -- warm
    7 grams yeast -- one package
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar

In mixer dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water, add flour and mix on
    #2 speed (5min) until mass forms into a loose shiny ball that is still fairly sticky. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and keep in a warm place to rise and double in mass. Fold down and let rise again by about 3/4.(or let rise overnight in refrigerator)

Wet hands to work soft dough. Bench into baguettes or work into
    pizza pan or on board, add toppings. Bake in a hot oven until brown
    and crusty. If making baguettes spray oven with water while baking
    periodically.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -