Piperade, Slanted Door, and ISA in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by suzanne, Nov 18, 2003.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I was just in SF for a conference. Fortunately, I was able to get together with friends for a couple of meals: Friday night a group of 9 of us went to Piperade, on Battery Street. The chef/owner is Gerald Hirigoyen, who wrote The Basque Kitchen. It was terrific! I had a gratin of bacalao (salt cod), very much like brandade, and . . . piperade (a mix of red and yellow peppers with tomatoes and a little garlic) with Serrano ham and a poached egg. Others had garlic soup; whole shrimp with garlic, parsley, and lemon; a warm terrine of sheeps' milk cheese and ham; and a few other apps. For mains, several had the braised seafood stew or the lambchops. Everything was really delicious. Excellent bread and wine, too.

For Saturday lunch (after a tour of the new Ferry Building and the farmers' market in the plaza), I got to go to The Slanted Door, a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant. My friend and I shared a dish of spicy string beans with honshimeiji mushrooms, and cellophane noodles with crabmeat; for dessert we shared housemade ice cream in green tea, jackfruit, and lychee flavors. Now I understand why the place is always packed. :D The chef, Charles Phan, did a demo at our conference, and his knowledge and enthusiasm were really inspiring.

Then Saturday night as part of the conference, a group of us ate at ISA (yes, named the same as "our" Isa here ;) ). They just kept bringing us more and more food, all of it excellent -- about 12 dishes in all, before the 3 desserts! Great bread, too. Highlights were warm goat cheese with pesto and pine nuts; seared scallops; bass wrapped in a potato crust; rack of lamb (one of the most flavorful lambs I've ever had); sliced duck breast with polenta and broccoli rabe (intensely DUCK!!!); and wild mushroom ragout over risotto. Wow. :lips:

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Suzanne,

Sounds wonderful!

I always wanted to try The Slanted Door.
    and a Gratin of Bracalao!! at Piprade,sweet......thanks for the report.

3. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Suzanne, you were right in my neighborhood; I live just a few blocks from the Slanted Door. I have eaten there and the food really is fabulous. I don't think I've eaten anything that wasn't good.

The Taqueria on the corner next door to the Slanted Door is a regular haunt of ours. Really good burritos.

Jock

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Oh man good timing ! I got info on a national farmer's Market conference in Feb....in SF and Sacramento...Theconference takes care of breakfast and lunch, we have got to do dinner for 3 nights...possibly three. I have my list now. thanks Suzanne.How was the Ferry Plaza market? We go to Copia, then Hess, the Viansa Winerey the next day it's Ferry Plaza then Concord and finally Berkley armer's Markets...the next day we hope a plane and go to Santa Monica Farmer's MarketPretty neat.
    There is a separate one for direct marketing that got my attention too....Half Moon Bay and loads of family/farmer owned stores. Cheese and fruit orchards....some days it'd be nice to be in two places at one time.
    My dad is in Sacramento and wants to take me on a tour of Napa...think I'll let him.:D So besides Mustard and French Laudry what do you suggest for Napa?

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What days are you in San Fran? The Ferry Building stores are open 7 days a week, I think, but the Farmers' Market is only Tuesday (10am to 2pm), Thursday (noon to dusk), and Saturday (8am to 2pm); on Sunday there's a Garden Market, with plants and such.

The stores are under separate management from the Farmer's Market, which is run by CUESA (The Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture): CUESA website. But they all try to be good neighbors.

Santa Monica Farmers' Market is fabulous, too! I was there 2 years ago. Made me so jealous. But then, it's California.

I'll have to look for places in Napa; I've not been, but I know chef-owners there.

Wow, what a great trip you'll have!!! :bounce:

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Tuesday is Ferry , Berkley and Concord market tours....Wed is Santa Monica. Ya know I just love being in the food industry ...we can write off really great trips. I got to read Andy's excursions of Napa and Sonoma...they were delightful. I have been pretty busy the last few months and have not keep up with Cheftalk enties as much as I used to. You guys are such a great resource.