Pineapple fruit cake

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Cakey Sue, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Everyone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. As soon as possible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cakey Sue

Cakey Sue

Exp:
    Brittish
    I’ve been asked to make a crushed pineapple fruit cake for a Christmas fare on November 4th will this cake keep till Christmas if I substitute the pineapple juice for Brandy?

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    It's not the brandy part that you should worry about. Fruitcakes made with fresh fruits will not last as long as those made with dried fruits.

Also, the taste of alcohol is part of the fruitcake's characteristic, so you'd better off using one of the pineapple liqueurs instead.

3. kelly grin

kelly grin

Exp:
    cooker
    I'm against using alcohol in fruit cakes

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I wouldn’t make one without alcohol... and dislike eating those without. It’s not only part of the taste but the preservative too.

Without the booze it’s a fruity cake but not a fruitcake. Could taste good too, but I wouldn’t try aging one.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On what grounds? It is integral to a classic fruit cake.

drirene and flipflopgirl like this.
  6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    ?

mimi

7. Karen Nicholson

Karen Nicholson

Exp:
    November 25, 2058
    There is an interesting no-cook, raw, Vegan (and for those preferring no booze & no gluten either) recipie at https://avirtualvegan.com
    You can substitute any dried fruits or nuts that you want (but see comment re utilizing dates).
    This could be nicely substituted with dried pineapple & any other complimentary ingredients.
    Use refined coconut oil if you want a neutral oil flavor (that is, no added coconut flavor beyond the dried coconut which is listed among the ingredients).