Pineapple and Tomato: An Underappreciated Combo

Joined Sep 10, 2016
Why do you think Hawaiian Pizza is such a hit? It's that sweet and savoury, umami-rich combo of tomato and pineapple. Pineapple is found in certain other savoury dishes, most notably Asian (ie. stir fry with pineapple), as well as perhaps some grilled Western dishes (ie. bbq skewers). Other than that, where do we find pineapple mixed with savoury foods, and specifically tomato? I think it's really an underappreciated combination that deserves more attention.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I despise Hawaiian pizza, but always thought the potential appeal to be the pineapple and bacon combination. The tomato is there just to justify the name “pizza”.

Joined Sep 10, 2016
I despise Hawaiian pizza, but always thought the potential appeal to be the pineapple and bacon combination. The tomato is there just to justify the name “pizza”.
Yes, pineapple-bacon, sweet-salty. That reminds me, I forgot to also mention the added benefit of pineapple having a protein-digesting enzyme, so it's probably good to combine with meat (bromelain is used as a meat tenderizer, I believe).

Joined Apr 25, 2017
We like to marinate chicken in pineapple juice and soy sauce before grilling. If it is boneless we will often make a sandwich out of the chicken with a pineapple ring (also grilled) bacon, sometimes onion.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I have a sweet (and savory) tooth for Hawaiian pizza. For me though the attraction is in the pineapple and bacon/ham combination. The tomato could be omitted and I wouldn't miss it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom