Piemonte Bagna Cauda Comfort Food Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by margcata, Aug 25, 2012.

1. margcata

margcata Banned

Piedmontese, fondue style appetiser, or snack called Bagna Cauda, this dip prepared in a pot over a candle or burner is a delight.

How do you prepare yours ?

Do you have a Dip you wish to share with us ?

Here is my Grandmom Margherite´s take on the old recipe ...

* 8 servings.

1 cup Evoo

3/4 cup cream

12 garlic cloves thinly sliced or minced

1 two ounce tin or jar of Anchovies in Evoo rinsed and sliced

1/ 2 stick of Butter room temperature

salt and freshly ground black, rose, green and white pepper

2 red bell peppers

2 green peppers

4 celery stalks cut into lengthwise strips

2 heads of Lettuce of choice ( we use Endive and Radicchio leaves )

3 carrots peeled and sliced into lengthwise strips

Cherry tomatoes ripe and red or tomatoes of choice

1. Heat Evoo, 1/4 cup cream and garlic in a heavy saucepan over very low heat until the garlic begins to break apart, stirring fairly often for 25 minutes

2. add the anchovies and cook 2 minutes on slow flame

3. add remaining ingredients with the butter and 1/2 cup cream, simmer and stir until slightly thickened about 8 minutes

4. adjust salt and pepper

5. set up veggies on a platter or wooden board and serve the Bagna Cauda in centre and serve.

6. Suggestion: Dipping Crusty bread and sipping sparkling  or still wine of choice or beer of choice,  pairing wonderfully ...

2. gonefishin

Bagna Couda, now that brings back some memories!  We used to have this quite often when I first started on the Fire Dept.  It was just a simple Evoo, butter, cream, garlic, anchovies, black pepper and bread.  As people became more health concious we now eat alot healthier.  I had nearly forgot about this wonderful little snack, thanks for the reminder.

3. margcata

margcata Banned

Buonasera Dan,

It is a once in awhile treat. I do not have much of  a sweet tooth; and eat healthy all week long.  I am veered more toward anchovies, Olives, cheeses etcetra, those Mediterranean treasures. It is quite an oddity these days, however, nice every so often.

Margaux with all my best.  
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012