Piece of dough!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tambopata, Apr 10, 2002.

1. tambopata

tambopata

Could somebody give me a definition of piece of dough?
    Thank You
    helen

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Bread, pasta, pie, biscuit? I guess I don't understand the question. There are all kinds of dough. What is the context of your question?

3. tambopata

tambopata

OK, I al searching for a definition of piece of dough for waffles!
    hope you can jelp me!
    helen

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Waffles are not made from dough, they are made from a "batter". I guess the best way to describe a batter would be a "loose dough. It is very pourable and contains a higher amount of liquid than a dough, but has the same basic ingredients. A batter is also used for cakes, pancakes, muffins, etc. I don't know if this is what you are looking for. Hope it helps.

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    That about covers it :)

6. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What kind of waffles are you making?

Some of the true Belgian waffle (the rich dense version you get from a street vendor in the Grand Plaza) recipes have a soft dough instead of a batter. My favourite recipe uses a dough which cooks wonderfully in an old fashioned belgian waffle maker but doesn't do well in a standard waffle maker.

If so, it depends on your presentation preferences. Use a walnut sized piece of dough for buffets or desserts, or a clementine sized piece of dough for the traditional single Belgian waffle maker.

Hope this helps-

Lynne