Pie Dough Falling

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kupkake, Mar 8, 2006.

1. kupkake

kupkake

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My pie dough keeps falling while trying to blind bake it. I am using lentils mixed with beans for the weights. What's up? I did open the oven door to check on the color about 15 minutes into it. Also baking at 375. ???
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kupkake

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi kupkake,
    Can you explain a little more about falling. For right now, all I can think is that it is underbaked or baked at to high a temp. If you can give us a better description it will help. First off though, check your oven temp.
    pan

3. kupkake

kupkake

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well Panini,
    I have suspected that my oven may not be working properly (temp). I have one of those drugstore oven thermometers and my oven registers 25 degrees lower than what it is set for.??
    As far as the pie shell falling, it is simply shrinking in height. I have tried this 3 times now all with the same outcome. The dough is bubbling up in the center even after docking (sp) and then the sides falling down to about 1/2 inch.
    I have never encountered this before. However, it has been quite a while since I have blind baked a pie shell in my crazy oven. This is still a new
    and unwanted experience:crazy:

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm just gonna throw out some things and maybe one will strike a cord.
    overworked dough
    Use the coldest water possible
    retard or chill the pressed dough before baking
    cut in the shortening, not too small
    Don't overmix the dough, just bring it together
    REST rest after mixing, rest after forming and before baking.**

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    So, is it shrinking or falling?

When you are laying the dough in the pie dish you need to be careful not to stretch it or it will shrink back in the oven no matter what you do with it.

I have trouble with the sides seemingly collapsing under its own weight. I think it has to do with the fat content in the dough. Like most folks I suppose, I like my pie crust to be flakey and tender. To achieve this I use a lot of fat but then it collapses in the oven.

So, it all comes down to getting the right amount of butter or butter/shortening combo. Enough that you want to eat the crust but not so much it causes the crust to fall when you are blind baking it. I haven't found it yet.

Jock

6. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Are you resting the pie in the fridge before baking? Doing that for 30 minutes has helped me.

7. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Here's a sure-fire way to avoid this problem.
    Put the pie dough in the pie dish and crimp the edges.
    Chill until firm.
    Line the inside of the pie shell with aluminum foil or baking parchment.
    Fill the entire shell (all the way up the sides) with rice, beans, coffee beans, etc, pressing gently into the corners.
    Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes for partially baked shell (firm dough and lightly browned) or 20-25 minutes (or until golden) for a fully baked shell.
    Cool slightly and lift out the foil or parchment liner with the beans, etc.
    Cool shell completely.
    Reserve beans, rice etc. for future use.

PS I have a bag of a mixture of old coffee beans, rice, black beans, alfalfa seeds and other detritus that I've been using for about 10 years. Smells funny while baking, but still works great.

8. kupkake

kupkake

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you all for your responses to my dilemma!
    To answer one of you, I did not over work the dough. I stopped mixing as it just came together.
    I'm thinking maybe the dough wasn't cold enough before I baked it although I did refrigerate it prior to. Perhaps not long enough.
    One thing I've never thought about is the fat content. I've always used this recipe without any problem, but haven't blind baked it much. ???
    I'll give it a 4th try. Yes, that is right 4th try!!!! Starting with the lengthened refrigeration time.
    Thanks Again!

:crazy: Kupkake