Pickled cippione onions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Dec 1, 2000.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Cippione onions are in and reasonable finally
    so I'd like to pickle these beauties...for those that aren't familiar they are small silver dollar size sweet crispy squat onions...I want as much of their wonderful flavor to shine through....any ideas on how to keep them crisp? I need them to last through Janurary.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgirl, Alot of times when things are pickled they are cooked in the solution. I would peel your onions (duh I know) and put them in your sterilizes jars with a couple sprigs of washed and patted dry Tarragon. The solution I would make would consist of yellow and brown mustard seeds, a little crushed juniper,Black pepper corns a peice of star anise and some laural leaves (fresh is best)I would use Champagne vinerger.kosher salt and surger in the raw opposed to prossesed white suger. The raw suger has a tendency to not soften a food in a solution as much as refined suger. I would steep all ingredients together for only 10 or so minutes, then pour in with your onions and tarragon, seal and let them pickle away.
    Hey shroomgirl because of the Juniper they go great in Martinies
    cc

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    YUMMMM thanks....not the apple martinis though....I did not relize the affect that processed sugar had on softening....these onions are so wonderfully crisp I'd like them to remain that way.

4. katherine

katherine

I've pickled large sliced onions. All the recipes I've seen call for some sort of a brief cooking period. The first time I made them, I left out that phase, and they were VERY RAW-TASTING! Gut-wrenchingly so.

Any proper pickle recipe will keep in the refrigerator for a month without processing.

[This message has been edited by Katherine (edited 12-02-2000).]

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG] No not the apple one's
    Kettle one Extra dry!! Yyummmmm
    cc
    Thats how I pickle myself

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    CC you are a funny guy!!!!
    Katherine these onions are so good I don't care if there raw...and I don't eat raw onions...except occasionnaly bermudas.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    CC looks like your almost ready for the mug club, congrats!!!!Now I still haven't heard about the set deal seems that I hit 700 a couple of weeks ago....

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Shroomgirl, You know the only reason I post to cheftalk is because I need another coffee mug [​IMG]
    cc