Pickle meat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Jan 10, 2014.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was wanting some red beans and rice.  Been quite some time since I had it not out of a box or at a restaurant.  Doing a little research on the subject I decided to try making a batch using pickle meat, or pickled pork.

The recipe I used for pickle meat called for 2 pounds of pork shoulder.  I had a hunk of bone in shoulder on hand, cut off what I thought was a reasonable chunk.  Just for grins, threw it on the scale:

THAT will never happen again!

Bottom line - I *will* be doing this again.  The tangy, spicy bits of pork slow simmered with the beans and veggies was very nice.  I messed up just a tad on the seasoning, could have used less thyme and a bit more garlic.  But good stuff, a nice meal.

No pictures, use your imagination.

Maybe next time I'll make some tasso...

mjb.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Took me a while to get this but nice job eyeballing 2# on the first cut. I remember back in the day when I could cut a 6 oz piece of meat of fish over and over exactly every time. Can you share your recipe for pickled meat? I have never pickled meat and wondered about trying it.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  4. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Tasso absolutely rocks if you have too much shoulder or neck - I regularily smoke some myself, too keep the pantry stocked for the gumgo etc. business.