picked up a Griswold pan

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by shroomgirl, Mar 27, 2011.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Picked up a griswold pan yesterday that's weird, not an ableskiver but a flat skillet with circle indentions....like crumpet or pancakes? I need to season it, but it's in good shape.  Also picked up a griswold muffin pan for a friend that needs serious cleaning....

My question is does this crumpet like pan have a name? was it designed for crumpets and how do you turn the 1/2 cooked whatever with that indention?

2. kayakado

kayakado

It sounds like the Griswold biscuit/poacher skillet.  Do an internet search and you'll find some other references and pictures to verify this is what you found.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    where? the 6+ sites I visited all had pix but no names for the photos.....the newer griswolds don't have this shape.

poacher skillet? 

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
  5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    yep....drop biscuit huh....I was thinking more crumpet.....was not sure how you'd dig a pancake out of the mould to flip.

so drop biscuit you'd put in the oven.....we used to make drop biscuits with bisquick when I was a little kid....it's a softer consistency than patted and cut.  

Have you guys used this pan? if so for what and how did it work?

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I've never used that particular pan, but I suppose it would be quite like the abelskiver pan or flat griddle where if well seasoned and greased the food will be loose when it is fully browned.