Phoenix, AZ

Joined Jun 3, 2016
Hi. I'm a retired musician/artist learning things I've always wanted to learn (but never had time). I obsessed over everything "coffee" for almost a year trying to learn as much as I could in order to brew the perfect cup of coffee every morning. What I discovered is (1) it's not possible and (2) there's only so much you can learn about coffee before you enter into the realm of ... well ... weird. Then I followed my passion and love of beer and took up home brewing. That was a blast, (and expensive), for about a year and a half. But now I have cases and cases of mediocre beer piled up in the garage, on the patio, in the pantry . . . I love beer, but I despise drunk - so I only drink 1 or maybe 2 when I drink. It'll take me centuries to go through this stuff. I was going to try my hand at making wine but . . . well I just don't like wine. So here I am - I've always been curious about what differentiates a "good cook" from a "bad cook." I love food - ANY food. I'm impressed with those people who compete on Food Network's "Chopped." Sooooooo

HELLO!   

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Welcome. 

James Peterson says "... good cooking is based on doing lots of little things correctly without taking shortcuts. And by a profound reverence for ingredients--letting them express their own character. "

It's not a description that will mean much until you get down and do it. But once you do it, you see what Peterson is talking about. 

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Welcome, I think your 1/2 way there. Caring and being a perfectionist is a great way to begin. I think when you start on your food binge you can have a Food and Beer party for your friends. 

Joined Jun 3, 2016
Originally Posted by phatch  

"... good cooking is based on doing lots of little things correctly without taking shortcuts..."
That sounds like excellent advice. 90% of the resources I've found online so far seem to be aimed at "How To Take Shortcuts", make it simple, make it quick, "Healthy Meals in Under 3 Seconds" etc. 

I'm all for slowing the pace down and adding a little quality back into life

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Welcome, I too am obsessed with coffee, roast my own beans invested in a great machine. Let us know what you think of ChefTalk and if you have any questions on how to use the site.

Top Bottom