Pheasant suprême with chanterelles, braised Belgian endives, Vitelotte purple potato and a sauce bas

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chrisbelgium, Dec 8, 2013.

1. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pheasant suprême with chanterelles, braised Belgian endives, Vitelotte purple potato and a sauce based on Pineau des Charentes

Another experiment that we enjoyed. Work needs to be done on the plating!

- Started by cleaning the chanterelles and set all trimmings aside, they will go in the sauce.

- make the sauce; sweat a shallot, add Pineau des Charentes and white wine, reduce slowly until syrupy, add chicken stock and the chanterelles trimmings, a few Szechuan pepper corns, reduce. To be finished later on.

- braise the Belgian endives; sear first in butter on medium low fire, s&p & nutmeg, add water (a finger high), cover with a cartouche cut from parchment paper; put cartouche on top of the endives, put also the lid on the pot/pan. Let braise on low fire. 30 minutes later; remove lid and cartouche, let braise further uncovered until all remaining moist is gone (turn endives often now!) and the endives taste nicely bitter-sweet.

- Vitelotte purple potatoes; boil in salted water with a few unpeeled cloves of garlic. Peel while still very hot, add a drizzle of olive oil, s&p and keep warm. Keep the garlic that now is soft and mild in taste; it will go with the chanterelles.

- Panfry the pheasant suprêmes in a medium-hot pan; put them in the hot pan for 4 minutes and don't touch them at all, nor the pan. Turn, s&p and let fry this side also for 4 minutes. Turn and add s&p. Wrap loosely in alu-foil to rest and keep warm. Discard the fat from the pan and add the Pineau sauce you made earlier to deglaze. Return the sauce to the sauce pan.

- Finish the sauce; add a small chunk of cold butter and swirl the pan until butter is dissolved. Add juices that came from the suprêmes, stir. Sieve (press all juices out!) and keep warm.

- Fry the chanterelles in olive oil/butter, add the peeled garlic cloves that had been cooked with the potatoes and crush the garlic in the pan. Taste, s&p.

- Plate

2. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    sounds nice, chris!!!

have you considered making the potatoes into a type of tartlet like pommes anna or similar?

will make better plating.

also, using rimless plates (or a bigger plate the size of the one you are using, adding rim) will make it look better too.

also, when taking pics, less is more….. smaller portions.

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the advice Soesje, the whole presentation is such a mess but the taste was excellent. Such a shame part of the fun was eliminated by throwing it all on a plate like that. I very much agree that putting too much on a plate doesn't work at all. And yes, the potatoes are too much present.

Now I'm going to look for plates without a rim; sounds like a very good idea!

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My kind of cooking.  :)

5. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    chris, in most upscale restaurants at least here, they use rimless plates.  or VERY big plate WITH rim.

depends on the dish. 

worth experimenting with. I have seen it done in where I work now with new dishes and it makes all the difference.

(for your information, look up restaurant 1910 eindhoven)

6. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @kuan; thanks!

@soesje; I know, most restaurants use plates without a rim, often very expensive pieces!

I'm looking for white rimless plates that aren't too large. Oversized and square plates aren't my thing at all. I do believe that good portioning is the best way to dress a plate and that's were my plating went wrong.

I found this picture on a Belgian website that more or less demonstrates the difference in correct plating in both plates with and without a rim;

(found this picture at http://tafelvooreen.blogspot.be/)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    chris, I totally see your point and  agree on the pics but do you know the size of the plates ??? ;) 

also, one at left seems to be a starter and the other a main? might just be me.

8. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's difficult to estimate how large those plates are. Today we were in Sluis, you know, Zeeuws-Vlaanderen, home for only a little while more of Sergio Herman's "Oud Sluis" restaurant before he moves to Antwerp to start from scratch in his new place.

In one of the shops I noticed nice plates, exactly what I wanted; nice price, white, no rim and 31 cm diameter. Only problem; they had only 1 plate left... aaarrrhhh! Ah well, I know other good sources, maybe it's a good argument to visit Sluis again in the near future.

9. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    of course I know sergio herman ;) 

but as for plates my tip is to go to an ISPC/ HANOS if you have got a card (or know someone who's you could borrow…) for plates.

lots of choice.