Petty question

Joined Feb 21, 2016
Does anyone know if the MAC professional petty (150) is tall enough for board work? It lists at 28 mm tall I think, but I don't have a good point of reference for that.

Recommendations for other tall-ish stainless 150 pettys in the same price range are welcome (handle style is unimportant)

Joined Apr 25, 2014
28mm is not very tall

The trick with a petty or if you were to use say a short suji or long petty as a line knife,  is to work at the edge of the board close to you.  Then the handle is off the board altogether and knuckle clearance is not an issue.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 15, 2012
I use a petty a lot on the board though with a modified pinch where only my fingertips touch the handle, so no knuckle clearance problems.  There is no fatigue issue because it is only small stuff thin sliced you are going to use a petty like this for.  So actually I am not so concerned about height, and my choice is the Geshin Kagero because of it's insane edge retention and decently fine grained nature for stainless. I did have to grind it to a flatter profile though, surprising as their gyutou comes with a very generous flat.  I'd also consider the Kohetsu HAP40, though it would probably need more thinning than the Kagero for my tastes.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
Yep over the top grip is the other way.   Top Chef Hung uses a suji as his main knife.  No one knows why.. but he uses an over the top grip here

Top Bottom