Pesach

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by suzanne, Mar 19, 2002.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Kyle already kicked this off on one of the baking boards, but let's discuss more generally. What if anything really special do you do? Besides keeping (more or less) within dietary rules?

I've got 2 stories: in 1990, I was in Los Angeles for a conference. The organizers kindly found families willing to have visitors for their seders. Paul and I went to an Israeli family, who followed Sephardic traditions, quite different from what we were used to. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had -- a real feeling of thanksgiving, and sharing traditions. That's what the holiday is about for me now.

Second story: a couple of years ago, we hosted the first seder at our house. I didn't really have the time to cook EVERYTHING, so I sent out copies of Passover recipes from Joyce Goldstein's Cucina Ebraica, a terrific book of Italian Jewish recipes. Everyone who wanted to cook picked a recipe, and we had a great feast! And the best part was that everyone contributed.

What do YOU do?

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey Suzanne

Although you are so young you remind me so much of my late grand mother, a Sephardic Greek Jew :)

Well grandma Ester was so greedy that every Greek Food she liked she used to name it Kosher LOL

And she had such a good way to justify her cooking.Every thing for her was ancient Sephardic that we, the ignorant didn't know.

If you dared to ask " Grandma , is that kosher, are you sure" ? She replied : " Shut-up. You have an opinion on kosher now" :lol:

Well although we are Ortodox Christians and passover is the most important religious festivity, I prepare some matzoh just to commemorate my grandma :)

And of course the rest: Kokoretsi, red eggs, breads, many breads and passover cookies :)

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Suzanne,

What a thoughtful thread, and great posts and stories.

Passover has always been my favorite holiday. It represents such a multitude history and tradition.
    When we were kids my parents used to hide the afcomin (sp?) for us to find.

My mother always set a beautiful Seder table, and my father would put a Haggada in front of all of us to read, (The Haggada is a book of stories and blessings for the different foods)

My father would always start the seder and we would take turns going around the table and reading, I also liked the fact that we had to drink 4 glasses of wine (grape juice for me and my brothers) the four cups of wine represent the four redemptiom speeches made by God.

The speeches where promises to free the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt. A fifth cup is set in the middle of the table for Elijah the prophet.

I am the youngest of children, so I always would read the four questions that ask the differerence between our pesah meal and regular meals.

I have started doing the Seder to continue the traditions and to help my parents.

I always make Gefilefish, Knaidlach, (matzo balls), choroset, tzimmis and marinated brisket.

Having my grandparents alive when I was younger was very special to me, they added so much love to the Seder, I always could look in Pops eyes and tell what he was thinking. Geez, I miss my grandparents.

For everyone, I wish a peaceful Pesah.

4. non chef

non chef

Cape Chef really tells it all,its all about tradition.Carrying on what was taught us and left to us by our parents and grandparents.We as grandparents love watching our granddaughters now asking the 4 questions,taking part in the Seder and knowing that there father,grandfather and great grandfather all shared in the same ceremony.May we continue to enjoy this holiday in a world of Peace.Good Health and Love. Happy Passover!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I love this thread, and I love Passover! It's my favorite holiday too.

This is the one time of year that my whole paternal family makes a point to get together. For my whole life, my grandmother has cooked the seder meal, and this year will be the first time she's not doing it. She's 86, and it's just too much work for her, so we will be having our dinner in a hotel, which will be strange for all of us.

My grandmother is orthodox, and my family is Sephardic, so the traditions and foods are quite different from most American Jewish families. There are usually about 35 family members attending the seder, and this makes it an event really worth looking forward to, even if we do have to drive to Brooklyn:) .

The items on the seder plate are slightly different from those in an Ashkenazi seder, but the symbols are the same. During the reading of the Hagadah, we alternate between Hebrew and English, and really take the time to try and understand the story, and to teach the children as well. (Let's not forget the egg fights, where the winner is the one who has tapped the shell on everyone else's egg, and survives unbroken!)

My Grandmother will not allow me to bring food, because I don't keep kosher at home, so I usually bring wine or chocolates. This woman can COOK, let me tell you!! There is always an ample selection of Syrian foods like Kibbeh and Lahmajean, rice (which IS allowed in Sephardic households) with a lemony hollandaise type sauce, a stuffed veal thingy called RUBBA that I never eat, but everyone else likes it, stuffed onions, sweetbreads, a big capon, salads, etc., etc., etc....

The dessert table is always very impressive, with lots of fruit, cakes, candies, and cookies.

I wish times like that could last forever...
    :)

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    What is fascinating and seem that most people forget when they are involved in endless wars is that the new religion, Christianism, was born during a Seder.

I wonder if anyone of you keep the costum of afikomen
    You know, the three pieces of bread that are hidden in the matzah tosh" on the table and the one is broken in two and children must find the pieces.

Do you keep this tradition?

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ~A~,

Read my post, I just could' spell it LOL ;)

8. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Oh You can spell Cape Chef I just can't read :)

Afikomen is a Greek word anyway :)

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yes, we have that custom too.:bounce: