Perfect sized Petty or Bunka knife.

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by thenewguyaround, Aug 19, 2017.

1. thenewguyaround

Hello Cheftalk, I have been recently shopping for a new Petty or Ko-Bunka Knife and was wondering what you guys will think will be better out of those 2 types of knives and what size do you think is best, I will be using it for a lot of meat trimming and small veggie cutting (things like shallot, garlic etc), my current main knife is a 177mm Santoku so i'm also looking for a good tip which made me think of the Ko-Bunka's, thank you for anyone helping me out figuring this out in advance. Oh and looking around carbon knives and site i'm using for knives is Chef Knives To Go.
  2. rick alan

rick alan

Shiro Kamo offers a nice tall petty in R2, Kotetsu of course, one recent poster linked to a Kougetsu I thought worth a look.

My fav is the Geshin Kagero, gets real sharp and holds it's sharp better than most any other. But if you go with a regular petty like that you need to learn a modified pinch grip for knuckle clearance.

But the 177mm santoku is already small, it seems what you really could use is a 240 gyuto, and maybe one of these little gems another regular recently pointed out, you can find them on amazon:

Honesuki is another style might interest you.