Perfect French Fries?

Joined Jan 11, 2018
On a quest to make the perfect french fries. What have you found out works best for scratch made fries? Cold blanch, soak in acidic water first, salt brine, etc. 350 Degree Fryer? Need Help to make the PERFECT French Fries!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Good luck. The "perfect" french fry is in the eye of the beholder. Mcdonalds makes a very popular fry but in my opinion, far from perfect. Five guys makes a nice french fry from scratch.
There are other threads that have covered this topic, all with a wide range of opinion.
As for from scratch, I like russets, cut, rinsed, dried, blanched in oil at 275 till limp. Cool on sheetpan. Make sure they are as dry as possible. Fry second time at 350. No need for acidulated or salted water. Just rinse the starch off.
They can keep in cold water in the walk in for about 24 hours but better cooked the same day as cut.
I can't find my records but a 12 oz portion of raw potato (a nice portion size) , not blanched, takes about four to five minutes to reach just cooked stage in 350 oil. We'll call these #1s. A few minutes more and the fry is crispy edged, called #2s, the stage most people consider the french fry to be done. A few minutes more than that and they are browned and almost crispy throughout. These would be #3s. If I can find my records I'll come back with more exact times but you can find out quickly enough.
A bit of experimenting is called for, and some interaction with your customers to find out preferences. Other potato varieties provide different results.
And of course, there is a whole other discussion about what is best to put on french fries, or dip them into. ketchup is ubiquitous, mayonnaises flavored or not, Malt vinegar in New England.
Anyway, however you decide to do it, the experimenting is lots of fun.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
There are some lengthy threads, here on ChefTalk about this exact topic. While there is some agreement on many points, some of the other points are hotly debated. Check out some of those threads to see the various opinions.

Joined Jan 21, 2013
On a quest to make the perfect french fries. What have you found out works best for scratch made fries? Cold blanch, soak in acidic water first, salt brine, etc. 350 Degree Fryer? Need Help to make the PERFECT French Fries!

I pre cook the potatoes using deep fry and then freeze it. When ready to serve, deep fry it again until you reach your desired texture. Then sprinkle with salt. I like mine crunchy outside and tender inside.

Top Bottom