Peppers

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Hi everyone. Peppers are used worldwide in our biz . From blending them dried and ground to make a cajun spice to the fresh . From habeneros to jalapenos the list is long . So what dishes or sauces do you make that incorperate this wonderful bounty ? Salsas stick out as one of my main uses but also so do stews . One saute dish I like is orange tequilla shrimp .
Saute your u/15s in clarified butter seasoned with salt and pepper . At the half way point hit the pan with garlic , shallots and sliced jalapenos ( as much heat as you desire ) .Deglaze with good tequila and flame . Pull off the heat and add a little orange juice concentrate , and soft butter . Swirl until its emulisified and serve with rice and your fave fresh veg . Top with chopped cilantro and sliced green onions for a kick .
So what else do you with peppers ? Doug...................

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Probably my favorite is the chile relleno. A cheese stuffed, battered and fried poblano. Some refries and rice on the side.

Phil

Joined Jul 16, 2003
Here is the quick and easy salad, try it as a side at a BBQ or summer El fresco dinner.

1 telegraph cucumber
1 red chilli
60g or 2oz toasted skin on peanuts
Fresh dill leaves
¼ cup malt vinegar
½ teaspoon plain salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
Ground black pepper

Slice the chilli as fine as you can on a slight angle and combine in a mixing bowl with the vinegar, sugar and salt.
*If you are using a cucumber other than telegraph you will have to peel off the skin.
Slice the cucumber as thin as you can either using a knife or a slicing machine so that you have thin even circles. Layer the cucumber in circles onto a serving platter. Chop the peanuts and the dill roughly then sprinkle onto the cucumber. Drizzle over the pickling chilli and vinegar mix and finish with freshly ground black pepper.

*For best results let the cucumber sit in the vinegar for 2 hours before serving to soak up the vinegar. :lips:

Joined Mar 10, 2004
Add a minced Chipotle chile (a wood smoked jalapeno) or two and a teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can they are packed in to ANY bar-b-que sauce to give it a wonderfully different and smoky flavored kick-up.

Canned Chipotles are now commonly available in most major food market chains and Mexican-Amercian ethnic markets. Imho, 'Herdez' brand is the best of them.

If you can find them, crush a dried Chipotle or two and add it into any meat rub concoction... especially great for ribs, either beef or pork.

Chipotles have 'been around' for about as long as I can remember, but it is only in recent years that they have been 'discovered' by the culinary community-at-large.

Top Bottom