Peeling Potatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by guy habanero, Oct 22, 2010.

1. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    Are there any suggestions for a good explanation/demo/tutorial on peeling potatoes without cutting yourself as badly as I just did?

I can't believe this never came up before, but I never peel them myself; always leave the peels on in the name of "hearty".

- Thanks!

[btw it was a peeler, not a knife, that I mis-handled]

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     start your peeling by holding the small end and peeling the big end of a potato (or carrot) first. This gives you an easy grip even after the skin is peeled away and the potato gets slippery. Also, if you cut yourself, you probably were not paying attention to what you were doing. Most cuts happen while talking to someone else in the room or trying to multi-task.

3. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    I was alone, no distractions (perhaps haste). It was a repeated slipping-out-of-my-hand, and in trying to catch the airborne spud I did something with the peeler that happened too fast to review. More of a relfex. But I was wondering if there is a glove or some remedy for the slipperiness.

Thanks again.

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    with small potatos like yukons or some reds, it's just a matter of slowing down. Otherwise peeling the big end first should help, that way your not trying to hold a tapering slippery end.

p.s. nice avatar

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  6. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    That first Peeler depicted is THE one I was using. Again, it was my own spaz-reaction to the potato flying out of my hand that did it. But peeling away from myself continually pulls the vegetable out of my hand.

It was worth the pain, this time. The simple recipe worked out great:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/potatosoups/r/r71114g.htm

-- And I bet would be better with peels ON!

Thanks for the comments. Always appreciated this site, but have been struggling at my own Art & Design business the past several years. Finally getting back to some balance, including cooking for 100+ homeless/needy at a time once or twice a month.

7. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       I've dropped a potato or two myself.  I will, sometimes, peel potatoes on a cutting board so I won't drop them...usually in the garbage can.  I do the same thing for carrots.  I'll hold the top of the potato or carrot up on the cutting board (like I'm holding a football for a kickoff), then peel from the top down.

dan

8. cheflance

cheflance

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  9. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    Correction: The link works; I just can't seem to edit or delete my own posts.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    Thanks!

11. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I use a paring knife.  Never could get the hang of using a peeler for potatoes and would rather not spend the extra time trying to perfect something that I can do twice as fast with a knife.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif   I have been cut with a peeler before and that hurts!  I'd rather be cut with a knife.  

12. alexlewis

alexlewis

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I usually ask the dishwasher to do it /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

13. guy habanero

guy habanero

Exp:
    Other
    Agreed, a knife wound is preferable!

Still in fresh pain every time I bump that thumb on anything. The "re-attached" part of the knuckle is still trying to make up its mind I guess. Looks okay but complains a lot!

- Thanks

14. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Serious question: Would somebody explain how one cuts oneself with a vegetable peeler that has a protected blade? Been using both configurations since I was a kid, and have never cut myself with one. Knives, yes of course. But not with a peeler.

Best way of peeling spuds is how we did it aboard ship. Imagine a top-loading washing machine, with the tub lined with a caborundom material. Pour in a 50 lb bag of potatoes, turn it on, and they are scraped clean. Constantly running water flushes away the debris.

I've often wished for a mini-version of one of those.

15. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Only time I ever peel potatoes is for chips (fries) (once in a blue moon)

For the most part i peel them after they're cooked - So much more flavour. Especially for mash and so much easier. Less waste too.

Simply boil em or zap them in the micro. The skin just pulls away from the flesh. For potato soup I bake them first and scoop out the flesh. Amazing flavour.

I realise there are plenty of times you need peeled raw potatoes, but then I'm with Allie, a sharp parng knife is far more efficient imo

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    KY, the blade on mine isn't protected.  When I got cut with it, it's because I was stupid and put too much pressure on it, causing it to skid across the skin into my finger.  I use one on carrots, eggplants, and, occasionally, for other things but for potatoes, I'm so much faster with the paring knife...guess it's because that is how I was taught as a child as my mother and grandmother never used a peeler on potatoes.

17. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Suprising topic, I guess.

I never peel potatoes.  Scrub them well and enjoy the skins in whatever preparation, especially bakers.

My understanding is that a lot of the nutrition is in the skins.  Am I wrong?

Mike

18. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Really the only time I peel potatoes is for a gratin, which I don't make all that often. I like having the skins intact. When I do have to peel them, it's a paring knife for me.

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No you're not wrong.  It's just a matter of preference really.  I think there is a time to peel potatoes and a time to leave the skin intact.  I personally don't like skin in my mashed potatoes but love the skin in a potato salad. 

20. tastytart

tastytart

Exp:
    Other

I always use the cutting board  trick. It works so well for me .