Peeling Garlic. Anybody try this?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Saveur video.  :)

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Never tried that method - but I don't agree with the premise that peeling garlic is a pain in the ass. I rarely need to peel an entire head of garlic so I'd rather not have to wash two bowls just to peel a few . 

I separate the desired amount of cloves, smash them a bit and the skin slides right off. 

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    If you have to do alot then its well worth it (I have to say that the guy did that fairly quick). I like to get the costco container. I don't like minced garlic premade.

[​IMG]

4. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmmm.  Right up there with the tennis shoe method of opening a bottle of wine (place bottle in tennis shoe with neck pointing out and thump tennis shoe against tree till the cork extends enough to be pulled out by hand - laugh, it works).

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm growing  a hardneck variety for which this procedure would fail utterly...

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I smack a clove with the side of my chef's knife if I want smashed or chopped garlic. If I want to skin several cloves at once I use that "rubber canoli" Martha Stewart made famous. 

[​IMG]

7. jmueller

jmueller

Exp:
    Food Editor
    It's a great tip actually but usually I really don't need as much garlic and I imagine it doesn't work as well if you only put 1-2 cloves into the bowl ;) I always rub the cloves between my hands briefly to peel them.

8. intimatechefatl

intimatechefatl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think its a very interesting method of peeling garlic, I have to give it to him. I have a southern style restaurant and catering business, and we use a lot of garlic. Even still I just buy a large tub of pre peeled garlic and put it in the food processor with oil. Add fresh herbs, rosemary and thyme go great, and it taste awesome in the dishes.

Chef Ameerah

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
  9. tonyd

tonyd

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not a bad idea if you need whole cloves to blanch and slice later.

10. scottintexas

scottintexas

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My BS meter went off the dial with this. As I read the "opening a wine bottle" post my BS meter flagged again. Now I have to try both just to settle down the meter!

11. pohaku

pohaku

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Learned the wine bottle trick from the owner of our local winebar/cafe.  It's the desert island trick.

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Throw garlic in fryolater for 10-12 seconds, skin will blow off

13. curious mac

curious mac

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    How long will this garlic stay viable for use?  I'd buy it but using 10-12 cloves a week it looks like there is  several months worth there.

14. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The whole cloves purchases peeled can be frozen. Most minced or chopped garlic is dehydrated.

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    christopher farms also sells a small cryovac package that i see in the grocery store's produce section. each package contains about 4 individual packages of 4 or so cloves. they should last at least a week or 2 in your fridge, or you can roast them and they will last longer, or you can roast them and freeze them for even longer(i've frozen them for 6 months). i use a LOT of garlic in the restaurant, so i buy whole cloves peeled either in a 3 lb cryovac bag or container like petal's.  i don't use a knife...i use a food proccessor on pulse....

joey

16. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So, could I use this method to peel a head of garlic and then put them into a sauté pan of olive oil, gently simmer the cloves for what? five minutes until tender and then use them as I would roasting the entire head in the oven in its skin.  That kinda sounds better to me as a home cook when I want to make roasted garlic mash potatoes...

17. bodhran1965

bodhran1965

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Take what you need from a head of garlic and crush it with the side of your knife. It's still the fastest way once you know how to do it.

Ken Harper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  18. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    kgirl,

you talkin'to me(in my best de niro voice)? are you asking about roasting garlic per se...i put peeled cloves in a cake round pour olive oil over and bake for 20 minutes at 350....keep the cloves in the oil in fridge. i ALWAYS make at least 3 or 4 times what i need...i can't help myself, i eat the roasted cloves like candy...if you're asking whether you can cook the garlic stove top, of course you can..i just don't see why...the oven does the job and you don't have to stand over a pan...on the other hand, it does take more electricity to roast...just another reason to do a lot at once. look for the small cyrovac packages and roast them...no muss, no fuss.... you'll be hooked! 

joey

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  19. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It only takes me about 30 seconds, and I can have all the garlic I want for a long time.

I buy peeled garlic in a bottle, stick a hand blender in it with some oil and a little salt, 30 second I will end up with a nice garlic paste and into the freezer it goes.

Oil does not get frozen solid. I can spoon it out easily when I need some for cooking.

dcarch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  20. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

great idea

I LOVE roast garlic

well, any garlic I can get

I do the same thing

olives, garlic cloves, soppressata, some cheese and maybe crackers or some nice bread

YUM-O!!