peeled potatoes

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by monmon, Jul 31, 2013.

1. monmon

monmon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Question. The home I work at has hard water and we use a water softener. For the last few months we've had a real problem keeping our potatoes from going a greyish to light black after the're peeled and in water. You can see the water turn "rusty" within a few minutes. Has anyone seen this before?

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Once your potatoes are covered  in cold water, just add 2 tbsp of vinegar, boil,  it will keep them white

3. monmon

monmon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    These are potatoes were keeping in the fridge for various applications. Not to be cooked right away.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Then they are using an iron machine to filter the water ( I would imagine) , do they ?  Have them call a repair man and have the system checked.

5. monmon

monmon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry. What do you mean?

6. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Here is a pic of a system used at work.

The smaller machine is the water softener

The taller machine ( Water Iron Filter Machine) is used to remove iron from the water. If they did not have this machine it would turn the water pinkish/reddish.

Some places also use manganese, it all depends the individual case.

I read here:

"The maximum amount recommended in water is 0.3 mg/L which is same as saying 0.3 Parts Per Million or PPM. When the level of iron in water exceeds the 0.3 mg/l limit, the water may have a red, brown, or yellow color and stain laundry and fixtures

Read more: http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/technical/how-to-treat-iron-well-water.php#ixzz2adBFH85h"

I so not know what system is being used at your work but there is definitely a problem, or maybe something else is going on ?