pearl barly vs pot barley what tastes better

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mark hernen, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mark hernen

mark hernen

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK so im working in this restaurant currently as the sous chef, we are not producing the best quality food at the moment and I am trying to improve the dishes that we offer and one of our more popular chicken options comes with a pearl barley risotto, currently we use pot barley but I am curious if it would taste better with pearl barley. I have never made a barley risotto before working here and I have only done so with the pot barley we currently use so I am asking your opinion purely on the taste not the nutritional facts because I am aware that pot barley in healthier.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hello Mark and welcome to cheftalk.

Pot barley and pearl barley both come from the hulled bran of the husked barley. They are both steamed and polished but the difference is that pearl barley is polished longer and has a slightly whiter color.

Give the pearl barley a try...it makes great risotto.

chefmtyler and nicko like this.
  3. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Pearl barley will have less flavour and your customers will perceive it as softer and mushier.

Pot barley isn't used for risotto often but if your customers are ordering it and liking it it'd stick with it.

chefmtyler and nicko like this.
  4. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    I'd eat that.

5. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    Such a wealth of information! I would have never thought...

6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @left4bread  if you like their posts don't forget to give them a thumbs up. Very informative posts chefs thank you!