Peanut butter frosting seized!

Joined Jul 12, 2020
I was making my standard pb cake frosting (pb, butter, vanilla, confectioners sugar). I read on another site that the addition of a little honey or corn syrup improves the texture, so I add that. I mixed up the wet ingredients for 3 minutes until light and creamy. I then added the sugar slowly. Within 30 seconds it seized and started climbing my beaters! I tried adding some cream but nothing helped. It tasted great, but it was hard to get in on the cake smoothly and it didn't want to stick...like a peanut butter fudge.

What went wrong?! Did the honey react with something?

Joined Dec 29, 2019
I was making my standard pb cake frosting (pb, butter, vanilla, confectioners sugar). I read on another site that the addition of a little honey or corn syrup improves the texture, so I add that. I mixed up the wet ingredients for 3 minutes until light and creamy. I then added the sugar slowly. Within 30 seconds it seized and started climbing my beaters! I tried adding some cream but nothing helped. It tasted great, but it was hard to get in on the cake smoothly and it didn't want to stick...like a peanut butter fudge.

What went wrong?! Did the honey react with something?
I don't know what you did but when dealing with a cream that curls up and pulls away from a cake you can dip the pallete knife in hot water.

Top Bottom