Peach Bruschetta

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Here's a recipe I cut out of a newspaper at work.

2 cups peeled, pitted and diced peaches (about 3-4 peaches)

1/2 lemon, rind and juice

4 tbsp granulated sugar, divided

2 tbsp chopped fresh mint

18 diagonal slices french bread 1/2 inch thick

3 tbsp margarine or butter

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Brown sugar

Method :
In a medium bowl, combine peaches, lemon rind and juice, 2 tbsp of the sugar and the mint. Allow to sit at room temp for 10 to 15 minutes. lightly toast the bread, spread with margarine. In a small bowl combine remaining sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the margarine. place toast on a baking sheet, top with peache mixture, dividing evenly. sprinkle with brown sugar. broil until sugar bubbles and peaches are hot, about 2 minutes.

yield : 18 pieces

Joined Mar 13, 2001
CoolJ,

Your recipe reminds me of "The Italian Kitchen" series by Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray, where in one of the episodes, River Café's head chef Theo Randall, prepared a sweet version of bruschetta using Pugliese bread. If I remember correctly (it's been a while), he used peaches or nectarines, halved, mixed in a concoction of sugar and probably cinnamon, some booze went in as well. The bread was sliced thickly, buttered and laid down in a large "hotel pan"; the fruit mixture was then carefully placed on top of the slices and baked in a wood oven.

Has anyone seen this PBS series?
Has anyone bought the book(s)?

:rolleyes:

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I finally found the book at Indigo today. Here's the recipe I was talking about:

Bruschetta with Summer Fruits
(serves six)

6 apricots
6 very ripe nectarines or white peaches
6 plums
6 slices sourdough bread or Pugliese bread cut 1,5 cm. (½ inch) thick, with bottom crusts removed
4 oz unsalted butter, softened
2 vanilla pods (preferably Tahitian vanilla beans)
250 g (9 oz) granulated sugar
2 fl. oz Vecchio Romagna (Italian Brandy) or Amaretto
Crème fraîche to serve

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

Butter a baking tray. Butter each slice of bread on one slice only and line the baking tray with them.

Cut the vanilla pods into small pieces, and pound with the sugar in a mortar. Alternatively, roughly chop the vanilla with the sugar in a food processor.

Halve the fruits and remove the stones. Put the fruits together in a bowl. Stir in the vanilla sugar and the alcohol. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes or so.

Break and press two halves of nectarines, cut side down onto each slice of buttered bread so that it absorbs the juices. Place two halves of apricots and plums, cut side down, on top of each slice, and pour over the remaining juices from the bowl.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. They should be crisp on the edges and the fruits cooked. Serve warm with crème fraîche.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Iza,

Did you tape the series by any chance?

And that would be book #4. And of course, that would be my fault again, right?

Well, Sisi, I refuse to feel guilty. HA!!

:eek:

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Oct 6, 2001
They both sound yummy! I have peaches, etc in the pantry -- those may be a breakfast course tomorrow!

I do a cold fruit bruschetta which you goes over well.

Baguettes, sliced, cinnamon-sugar toasted.

Strawberries, peaches and banana diced

A cinnamon sugar sour cream, creme fraiche, or honey yogurt topping garnish

Repeat guests request it

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Kimmie: I have the book too. Loooooved the TV series..

I made the pear tart recipe but it overflowed and made a royal mess in my oven. I've held a grudge ever since... Maybe it's time I forgive and attempt to forget; there's some great ideas in there...

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
No I didn't tape it, I wish I did. Next time it comes on I will. I just love the way Ruth and Rose cook. Such a fresh cuisine.

And why should you feel guilty Kimmie? Have you done something wrong? ;)

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
The River Café Cookbook has been on my wish list for a very long time so technically Kimmie it is not your fault!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Too funny, Iza.

You know, I discovered that we should get the PBS series companion book <it sells for $25 or so (canadian currency)>, instead of River Café Books one and two, which will set you back $100, and not all the recipes from the series are there!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Sounds interesting Kimmie. I didn't know there was a companion cookbook. It sounds interesting. Did you get a chance to look at it?

It's really a shame that books are not longer discounted online. I got used to 30% discount hard to go back to nothing or almost nothing with the 10%. Oh well such is life.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Dear Iza,

Got the book at lunch. The exact title is:

River Café - Italian Kitchen - All the recipes from the television series

ISBN 0 09 186 798 3/$24.56 with discount card

;)

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Kimmie, I prefered the TV series... There's room for much improvement in the book...

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Ouch Kimmie, now you're really putting me on the spot!! ;) I haven't looked at the book for a while so I can't remember exactly. There were problems with proportions and measurements I think.. I forget. I'll have to bring it out again when I get over my busy period at school! Have you tried any of the recipes? What did you think?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Thanks Kimmie. I was thinking of going to Indigo tonight, I have a 10$ coupon that expires tonight. You know I discovered that if I go there around 6 PM I can usually find a parking spot.

Wonder what I'll come home with...

Top Bottom