Pea purée

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by wagfin, Feb 23, 2012.

1. wagfin

wagfin

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I want to make a pea purée that is over the top bright green. Usual recipes don't cut it any ideas on how to accomplish this would be great.. I do want to stay away from artificial colors .

2. bakingpro

bakingpro

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    you can try blanching by boiling the peas and then shocking them in cold water, this brings out the natural green color

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make a puree of frozen peas with a touch of heavy cream with no problem.

4. bazza

bazza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I usually use defrosted peas uncooked, adding some baby spinach leaf can help with the colour.

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, a lot of the really really deep bright green pea purees you see you there usually have something like blanched spinach or parsley added...spinach might be best since parsley adds a lot of flavor. 

Although, I personally think that the color of a properly made pea puree (read, properly blanched, shocked, etc) is beautiful on it's own, without the need for spinach or what have you. But if you want the deep green color, spinach is the way to go. 

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I puree peas for my baby all the time.  Instead of boiling them I steam until just cooked and then puree.  I use the frozen kind and have never had a problem, the color is always bright and beautiful. 

7. enzodamico

enzodamico

Exp:
    Party Planner
    how about a squeeze of lemon to protect the color like you would with apple?

8. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Pete is right on, I do the same only I add a drop of baking soda as it enhances color a bit.

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    It also  alters the taste of what you want namely Green  Pea Puree  or Puree du Petite Pois in a cook book.

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Purée de petits pois /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    If you really need more green you could also extract the Chlorophyll from just about any green leafy vegetable and use it to naturally color your puree. 

12. li4m79

li4m79

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Frozen Peas, blanched, lots of fresh mint, small dot of butter, tiny bit cream and small squeeze of lemon, and of course salt and pepper

13. keithdaman666

keithdaman666

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    its always good to put greens straight into Ice cold water to maintain colour, Try Crème fresh instead of cream to give a little more Zing!

14. coup-de-feu

coup-de-feu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here is a video that demonstrates how to extract color from spinach, the same technique works with parsley, basil, etc.

http://www.marmiton.org/pratique/te..._fabriquer-du-colorant-vert-chlorophylle.aspx
    Baking soda is a base, so it will destroy vitamin-C (an acid) and cause vegetables to deteriorate and loose flavor.  They might be brighter at first, but then they turn to dull flavorless, nutrient less mush.

CDF

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Be careful with lemon, when I've added it to peas it discolors them right away.

When shocking peas in cold water to retain their color, how do you warm up the pea puree afterwards?  I wouldn't want to serve cold pea puree.

16. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This is what I was going to say blanch a little spinach and add it and you will get the bright green color your looking for.

17. garball

garball

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    blanch and shock the peas.  Puree the peas with just enough of the salted blanching water to achieve proper consistency.  This can be kept at 140F for service without losing color.  Using cream or any dairy is going to mute the color and the flavor of the peas.

18. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    He is looking for color and is not running a hospital. As far as breaking down, you only need add a  pinch.

19. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ed, are you referring to adding spinach? 

20. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nicko, I may have misinterpreted, but I think Ed is talking about Baking Soda when he said "a pinch".