Paula Deen

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I've got Food Network on as I'm answering some e-mail, and Paula Deen's show is on. She's making (among other things) blueberry dumplings. They look wonderful.

I've caught a few of her shows and have been charmed. This woman has a great sense of humor and, apparently, arteries of steel judging from the cholesterol and fat her scrumptious recipes contain.

It dawned on me that Paula is the Southern Julia Child. We all cherished Julia's sometimes giddy sense of humor ("Wang!!"). Well, I saw the same with Paula today. She dished up a generous serving of blueberry dumplings and giggled deliciously as she laid a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Then, searching for a tasting spoon in vain, she grabbed a huge stainless steel commerical-style spoon, shrugged her shoulders, and dug in.

We loved Julia's warbling voice; I love Paula's accent ("Bohle those blueberries!")

I think a star is emerging. What do you think?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Never heard of her. But I have no cable of satellite either, so no big surprise. Sounds like I'd liker her though.

Phi

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Paula Deen's LADY AND SONS RESTAURANT is a real landmark in Savannah, Georgia. I ate there a couple of months ago and the food tasted great. The food is southern faire without being chi-chi.

Joined Aug 17, 2004
I love Paula! She's pretty, sassy and a good ol' southern cook. Can't compare her in any way shape or form to Julia though. Julia was a master of French classical cooking and her technique and knowledge was staggering. Paula's techniques are often as home spun and incorrect as she is. Paula can boast probably the very first "BLEEP" I ever heard on Food Network. She was fryin' up some buffalo chicken wings and she got spattered by the hot fat. She said something like "Oh you little son of a BLEEEEEEEEP!!" It was "natural" and cute. :D I love how she steps over her DAWG to get to her stove. How many of us do that every day?! Edited to add: I love when she cooks "Shrrrreeeeeeeee-UMP." :D :lips:

sam

Joined Oct 22, 2004
I thought she was interesting until she made bread pudding out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, sweetened condensed milk, and canned fruit cocktail. :eek:

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Rsthilaire, go to foodtv.com and search there. I'm sure you'll find it.

Oh, that is truly ugly food Sam, but no worse than the stuff I saw in White Trash Cooking!

Even Julia used conveniences like marshmallo creme once in a while.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I caught her show a couple of days ago (no sound though) and she was making a chocolate pie with marshmellows, hershey bars melts and then whipped cream folded in.....scooped into a pre made graham crust.....again no sound but not postively impressed with her creation.
This past week was interesting, I worked with Bob Blumer the surreal gourmet...he was more than I expected, staged at Campanile and Craft, just got back from France.....there was some substance to him. :eek:

Joined Jan 29, 2005
Mezzaluna said:
Rsthilaire, go to foodtv.com and search there. I'm sure you'll find it.

Oh, that is truly ugly food Sam, but no worse than the stuff I saw in White Trash Cooking!

===== speaking of white trash cooking!! i forget where i saw this recipe,
but tastes LOTS better than it sounds!

take a hard boiled egg, wrap in bulk sausage, dip in egg wash, then crushed
corn flakes. deep fry in rendered beef fat (the original McDonalds fat their
fries were cooked in!!) until GBD. put on a toasted english muffin and cover
with sausage gravy. YUUUUUUM!!

Joined Feb 3, 2005
I watched the same show! It was the first, but will not be the last time, I watched it. My husband and I giggled all the way through !

The blueberry dumplings look superb. I will try and emulate them for my 82 year old father, when we return to Canada this spring. He loves his blueberries!

And Yes! A star is indeed born!

Joined Feb 7, 2005
I'm a Food Network junkie !! I love to watch Paula. I saw her on the Emeril show last night. She was a hoot !!! Her new husband has such a catch. I wish I could know her personally. She would be a great person to know.

Joined Feb 7, 2005
That is called a "Scottish Egg". They are baked in the oven though and omit the english muffin and gravy. Although, the gravy does sound good !!!

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I just saw part of an episode where Paula makes her new husband's favorites. One of them is a Mexican Chili recipe. I was disappointed to see her make heavy use of processed and packaged foods: canned beans, canned corn, packets of ranch dressing powder and taco mix. Maybe I'm going to revise my opinion of her a bit. That's getting too close to Sandra Lee's "Semi-homemade" style of cooking. Paula does make many things from scatch, but this wasn't her best work.

I hope this isn't a trend on Food TV! :cry:

Joined Aug 4, 2000
If I may chime in on this one. Nothing, I mean NOTHING gives me heartburn like taco mix and burrito mix regardless of the brand. I just use plain ol' burger meat and spices from the spice rack. Taco mix, YUCK. :eek:

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Koko,
Alot of people experience the same thing. Most of those packets havr Disodium inosinate,guanylate.and sulfiting agents etc.

I personally like here alot. She is great for the home cook, I just can't seem to get beyond that awful accent. :D

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I just watched an episode where she had her sons on to make snacks for "Poker Night". What a riot!!!! The food they made was all right (won't win any awards), but a few things looked pretty tasty. As for using prepackaged food stuffs. I really don't have a problem with it as long Food TV keeps that stuff limited to only a few shows. There are plenty of "made from scratch" food shows on the network, I see nothing wrong with a few shows showing how to create tasty foods using these shortcuts. Again, as long as it doesn't become a trend that prevades all shows.

Joined Mar 31, 2005
I enjoy reading these posts about that woman that I don´t know and probably will never come to know as I don´t have access here to the tv series on cooking that she is moderating. The only more famous tv cook in Europe that I know of is Jamie Oliver. But even of him I have never had a chance to watch an edition. In a recent magazine series of cooking I found, however, several recipes of his. They are not vegetarian, which is a minus, but his ideas appear to be very inventive, decorative and easy to make at the same time.

Joined Apr 1, 2005
I find her entertaining, and a lot of her ideas are good, I just don't like the way she executes some of them. I have a couple of her cookbooks -- and they are the same way, for example, they use a lot of canned refrigerator biscuits. I mostly use her books as idea generators.

She did have an updated version of the Tunnel of Fudge bundt cake recipe that my family had used as a birthday cake for years: the original used frosting mix, and when the dry mix was discontinued, so were our birthday cakes. She used premade frosting. I took her recipe and rewrote it without any mixes, using butter, sugar and chocolate in place of the canned stuff.

When I was a kid, I never noticed the chemical taste from the frosting mix, either I was used to it or the mix didn't have the same flavor as the premixed frosting. The mix-free version is much tastier, and doesn't leave that metallic aftertaste in the mouth that the her version does.

Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hey oh

OMG!!

Who, I mean, WHO has Krispy Kreme doughnuts long enough for them to go stale!!??

I'd love to try that, but, ahhhhh the sin of letting them stale.........

As to the scotch eggs. Interesting idea to pan fry them. Me, my heritage is very blended. What I grew up with and still do, is a meatloaf with pickled eggs through the centre...mmmm good!

Wish I got the Food Network. Don't, and don't think I will anytime soon. Ah, but as to the other great names in this thread..... MY FAV Julia moment.... roast chicken... slippery chicken..... in hand.... out of hand... on the floor... in hand... hand on apron...chicken then prepared..... mmmm a la floor ;) And that Jamie guy, a laugh for sure, and a real testament to the short bus;)

Oh, and is that what it is that causes that searing burning sensation I get from those flavour packets!? Well!! Thanks, never knew that before.... I don't use them except for the occasional "organic" mixes, and even then only rarely.....

Joined Mar 13, 2005
:lips: I have tried making fried chicken many different ways because it is one of my family's favorites. I must say that the Paula Dean trick of adding lots of hot sauce to the egg coating mixture sounded weird, but I tried it and OMG! The best fried chicken I ever made! The heat seems to cook out pretty much and leaves a fantastic flavor.

Top Bottom