Patina--Force it or let come naturally?

Joined Feb 21, 2016
I have just ordered my first Carbon blade -- a 240 Misono Sweden -- and I'm curious about caring for this knife, specifically preventing rusting and reducing reactivity with foods.  So I guess those things are related to forming a patina.

My question(s):

Should I force a patina right away, using mustard or vinegar or similar?

Should I let it form naturally, but maybe help it along by slicing  a few pounds of onions/potatoes/other cheap produce?

Some other option?

I am now a home cook, so I do not have easy access to 50# bags of onions anymore.  Oddly mixed emotions about that...

Joined Mar 19, 2009
Better see how it reacts to a natural patina. Use it, wash it, dry it carefully (the tang also).

There's a beautiful wabi-sabi mistic in building natural patinas.

Joined Feb 21, 2016
Thanks Ben. I do plan to try to open up the knife pretty much right when I get it. I'm a bit of a novice sharpener, though. I know the basics (I think), more or less, but any tips related to the misono would certainly be appreciated.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It's hard to beat a good looking mustard patina - check out Michael Rader's mustard kissed blades.  Interestingly I find slicing rare red meat to really hasten the job too as well as onion and ripe red bell peppers.  Cabbage too come to think of it.  

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
Not my handywork.  I never got the curved handlemaking skills down.  I just make simple shapes!  This one you'll notice is the same suien vc but the profile is flatter than the original on the right. 

Joined Dec 13, 2016
Is it possible to remove a forced patina that has been done on a knife from a while ago? I've just been wondering about this. 

Joined Dec 13, 2016
Sure. Any abrasive. Think coarse ScotchBrite. But perhaps someone has a chemical instead of a mechanical solution.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I wonder if baking soda would work as well.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom