Pate Sucree

Joined Jul 31, 2000
What are some of your favorite ways to use pate sucree?
I love it with fruit tarts
What about you?
cc

Joined Jan 15, 2001
Pate sucree or sugardough is the one thing in my kitchen that we use the most of. It's is such a yummy and versatile product. Fruit tart shells, decorated cookies, garnishes, thin crunchy base for certain cakes and pastries. The guys at work love it when I make them little circles of pate sucree sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Angrychef, Thank you.

Do you ever roll your pate sucree? or just use your fingers to form the tart pans ECT
cc

Joined Jul 24, 2001
For tarts but not necessarily to sweet ones only .
I use it with for mushrooms tarts and some other greek ingredients I use to fill tarts.Especially when the filling is very spicy.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
I HATE TRYING TO ROLL OUT PATE SUCREE!!! I have almost never had a successful attempt at rolling it out. I end up patching and piecing it together! How's that for high quality cheffing! I'd have Escoffier rolling in his grave. I have found it much easier to do "Rustic" pies, like big turnovers. It's also a nice word to use for f-ups. Just call it "rustic" style!
Otherwise rolled out cinnamon sticks are a nice use for scraps. Also just rolled out tough peices baked and crumbled can be used as a kind of topping or middle layer for a variety of fruity dishes, parfaits, etc.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I love pate sucree, it's easy to handle. I'm sorry to say that just after your post Chrose.

I can see you've been reading In The Sweet Kitchen CC. Hope you are enjoying it!

Joined Jan 15, 2001
I always roll it out. I have to agree with Isa, I love how easy it is to handle. We make tart shells by the hundreds so rolling is the quick and easy way to go. Try and keep the dough cold.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
Chrose, you may find this technique helpful... Roll out as thin as you can on a piece of floured parchment, and before it sticks to your pin, add more flour, and cover with more paper. Finish rolling between the 2 sheets of paper. After it's chilled, just peel off both sides. It's also a convenient way to store the dough; just stack up the layers.

Pate sucree is great for cheesecake crusts, mini linzer tarts... add dark cocoa, and you have an excellent oreo dough, add nuts, and you have a crispy tart shell. It is quite versatile.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I do use it for miniature Athenaeus. When making miniature, I will use a very small rolling pin and roll small balls of dough so I can get it very thin. Once in the pans it is best to put it back in the fridge over night before baking. It wil prevent shrinkage.

Chrose, have you thought of grating the dough? They did that in the British serie The Italian Kitchen.

CC I hope you will enjoy The Last Course as much as I do.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I think rolling the dough depends upon the dough. I use a recipe that's really really short, rolling it is impossible and frustrating with this dough. I pat it into tart shells. More classic pate sucree I like to roll when it's chilled, not too hard but very cold.

So it depends upon the recipe, in my opinion.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
I find that ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist suits me just fine!:cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom