pastry boards

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by brook, Aug 18, 2001.

1. brook

brook

In several baking books, marble and granite pastry boards are recommended for keeping the dough cold. Though the writers caution that acid, such as lemon juice, can cause damage to marble, I have not read similar cautions about granite. Does that mean that granite is immune from damage? Do man-made surfaces (e.g. Corian and Swanstone)work as well after cooling in a freezer or refrigerator?

2. w.debord

w.debord

Everything kind of depends upon what your doing. Not much really requires any special surface or surface tempature.

If I'm making chocolate bows, it's easier/quicker to make them on a cool surface like a stainless steel table or marble so they set quicker but I could easily make them on anything I could place in the cooler and that would work equally as well. But marble or granite are not NECESSARY at all, if you understand the reason why your using that surface you can adjust and use any surface....their nice, yes...but don't beleive you can't make croissants on your average counter top.

As far as having a cool surface to roll out items such as danish doughs...you wouldn't place your work surface in a refidgerator. That would cause condensation once you placed it into a warmer room and gum up your flour as you work. They recommend marble or granite because these surfaces remain rather cool to the touch naturally.

My personal opinion is that your room temp. and your dough temp. are far more important factors in making items easier to work with than the surface you work on. A hot humid room makes pastry work more complicated, because you must work quicker, but you learn how to compensate.

Just a cheap piece of scrap marble will be perfect if you want to play with a different surface.

As far as staining, I surely can't give you any experience on that. I had a cheap marble slab at work that was purchased several pastry chefs before me and it looked fine over the years. No one mixes right on the marble so lemon juice isn't a problem unless it's your whole counter top and you mix alot of drinks and have young children that could be hard on it. I think you have to follow the advise of your local countertop dealer/or hardware shop as to which surface is the most durable, least staining in that case.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    There are food-safe sealants for stone, as well. I agree w/ W. about the temperature of the room being more important than the surface you work on.