Pastrami Sandwich

Joined Aug 3, 2009
Can some  one give me a good pastrami sandwich recipe ?Brown, yellow or Dijon mustard is better. I have seen cole slaw with cole slaw dressing and country dijon . will it go with it.Grilling or steaming of pastrami is the best?

Joined Feb 17, 2010
You need to start with good pastrami. Use navel or brisket, anything else is "peppered roast beef"

I prefer grilled pastrami with Heinz yellow mustard, pickles and onion on a crusty roll.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Real Jewish Deli type Pastrami is always steamed or held in a steam cabinet or drawer.. As far as mustard Guildens or Hebrew National brand is most always used. Slaw on side unless making a sandwich known as a Rachel It' like a Reuben . In a tradit

ional NY Kosher  Deli  a Reuben or Rachel is never made as you can't mix meat with cheese. In a Jewish Deli you can mix.  

The Pastrami sold in supemarkets is garbage and in most cases done with a bottom round of beef. Traditional Pastrami is made from a cut called a point or a plate of  beef or in some cases the top of the brisket. which is very different. Pastrami is best when sliced very thin accross the grain. Good Pastrami is a staple of a NY DELI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom