Pastrami Sandwich

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by depaul, Apr 6, 2011.

1. depaul

depaul

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Can some  one give me a good pastrami sandwich recipe ?Brown, yellow or Dijon mustard is better. I have seen cole slaw with cole slaw dressing and country dijon . will it go with it.Grilling or steaming of pastrami is the best?

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You need to start with good pastrami. Use navel or brisket, anything else is "peppered roast beef"

I prefer grilled pastrami with Heinz yellow mustard, pickles and onion on a crusty roll.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Real Jewish Deli type Pastrami is always steamed or held in a steam cabinet or drawer.. As far as mustard Guildens or Hebrew National brand is most always used. Slaw on side unless making a sandwich known as a Rachel It' like a Reuben . In a tradit

ional NY Kosher  Deli  a Reuben or Rachel is never made as you can't mix meat with cheese. In a Jewish Deli you can mix.  

The Pastrami sold in supemarkets is garbage and in most cases done with a bottom round of beef. Traditional Pastrami is made from a cut called a point or a plate of  beef or in some cases the top of the brisket. which is very different. Pastrami is best when sliced very thin accross the grain. Good Pastrami is a staple of a NY DELI.