Chef Forum banner

Pasteurized milk

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  rick alan 
#1 ·
I’m curious what kind of milk everyone uses here and where they get their milk. I shop at mid to upscale grocery stores and tend to buy organic dairy. Almost all the dairy I find in stores are ultra pasteurized. I haven’t come across this in Europe and there are some things I want to make that call for simply pasteurized milk. I want to make clotted cream for example and that can’t be made with ultra pasteurized cream.

What are your thoughts about dairy and how do you make do?

#3 ·
Our state allows for raw milk sales. We have a local farmer who sells hers at the farmers markets, and you can also go to the farm to get it. We live just up the road from the farm, so that's where we get ours. We get our beef from her as well.

Look into your state regulations, you may be able to find some in your area.

#9 ·
When I moved to Vermont I became a dairy products snob. They make it easy with the availability of small local dairies. A half gallon of non-homogenized, 'gently pasteurized' milk from one of my fav. local dairy comes in a glass bottle. I love the stuff. To me is still tastes 'grassy'. I just tried a new local butter. I thought they put too much salt in it.

#11 ·
In the fall, if the cows are allowed to eat the dried leaves, the milk will have the unmistakable taste of walnuts. As a boy I noticed this phenomenon every year, though everyone else in my family thought I was nuts more so than the milk, as they couldn't taste it. I was vindicated when on a news short everyone heard the expert verify the walnut flavor and what caused it. I don't think most cows these days get dry leaves but, as I intimated, it was common in the Northeast half-century ago.

There most certainly are farms that provide the high-A grade of milk that is low enough in bacteria count to forgo pasteurization, but many have been regulated out of business by government regulator folks trying to justify their existence.

#12 ·
There is a Mennonite family near me that sells their raw milk and by products. I don't do milk per se, but I hear tell it's very good. The Amish do the same where they are located.
But back to the subject at hand - @koukouvagia do a search for Kosher Raw Milk near me. Enter your zip code and Google might point you in the right direction. You can probably find it at farmers market on the weekends, but it's going to be spendy.

#13 ·
So I did that search and found out that I was incorrect... kosher raw milk (and maybe even some that’s goy) is available where I live. I was completely unaware.

And not to hijack the thread, but... one of the sites said that lactose intolerant folks can drink raw milk because it has probiotics in it. True? I’ve been intolerant since birth and never became a milk drinker. I tried Lactaid but didn’t like the taste. Would raw milk be better?

#15 ·
And not to hijack the thread, but... one of the sites said that lactose intolerant folks can drink raw milk because it has probiotics in it. True? I've been intolerant since birth and never became a milk drinker. I tried Lactaid but didn't like the taste. Would raw milk be better?
I think it is more that people who think they are lactose intolerant may not actually be LI. There was a study on the question, and they found well over half of the volunteers who thought they had lactose intolerance did not pass the test verifying the diagnoses.

We've found that some people who don't do well with store milk can drink the raw milk, but it is probably not the lactose giving them the issue in the first place. One theory is the lack of homogenization makes it easier for those people to digest.

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who are not actually LI after all.

#19 ·
Thanks all, I’m planning a little excursion upstate and will see if I can find a farm that sells milk. I’d be happy with just pasteurized milk in the city but i can’t find it even at fancy stores.

#22 ·
And not to hijack the thread, but... one of the sites said that lactose intolerant folks can drink raw milk because it has probiotics in it. True? I've been intolerant since birth and never became a milk drinker. I tried Lactaid but didn't like the taste. Would raw milk be better?[/QUOTE]

Goats, as well as Jersey and Gernsey cows typically used for raw milk production, have milk that is mostly A2 beta-casein, and this is less inflammatory than A1 beta-casein milk such as typical commercial grade Holstein milk produce. Those who show intolerance for commercial grade milk can often drink the A2 with no apparent adverse effect.

Many studies suggest milk and milk products are not a proper staple for adults, best consumed in moderation IOW.

#24 ·
One addition to the above, no significant amount of "cooked" milk products for the sensitive or those concerned with their gut in general. The enzymes destroyed in the heat process help combat milks irritating elements, as was previously intimated. And for many decades in fact rumatologists have admonished those with ulcers to avoid such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.