Pasta Question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, May 18, 2006.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Is there a standard size for pasta? For example, does fetucinne have to be a certain length?

2. steve a

steve a

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've spent most of my food career working either in Italian restaurants or working with Italian families. Prior to that I had worked in/around Naples, Italy and Catania, Sicily on/off for about 6 years. I've never heard of a specific length for pasta.

Ciao,

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't know about fettucini, but I heard once that tagliatelle have to be a certain width to be authentic. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

4. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why does all the pasta we buy in the store come in the same length? The import brands come in different lengths, a lot longer most of the time. I was just wondering if there were a governing body which determined the dimensions, kinda like an appelation system for pasta. :)

5. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are just as many different pastas, as there are riegons in Italy, almost every township has its' own "signature" pasta. Thats wherein lies a gold standard, a set size/form/shape,etc...in order to maintain authinticity.

The main pastas here are the "generic" pastas, I guess the sixe is based on the packager? Not sure. The "desighner" pastas try to differenciate themselves I'm sure, so that might be why they are longer.

I wonder if the lenght is also a way to gain more sauce, after all, that is the main reason pastas are different anyways...it's all about the sauce:lips:, or adhesion of.

6. expatc

expatc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The answer to the first question is NO.

Store bought pasta is uniform because it is made in an automatic machine and imports are a bit different because they are made from a different machine.

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Bingo! Convenience of the machines.

There's an Italian store I go to, and their dried pastas are all different lengths.

There isn't necessarily uniformity of widths or naming, either. In my files I've got catalogues from half a dozen Italian pasta manufacturers, and they use the same names for different shapes, and there are variations in size (width) of flat noodles, too.

I don't care. Whatever it's called, whatever size it is, I love it. Mmmmmm, pasta! :lips:

8. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So one day, someone decided to make a pasta machine, and everyone who wanted to make pasta had to buy that machine? (With cheesy fake American Italian accent) "Paisan, you use-a my machine OK? Do me this "favor" and I'll be eternally grateful." :)

9. even stephen

even stephen

Research it a little more. I think you'll find that their are
    certain standards for pasta size. Length not as important
    as width. There may not be a governing body, but there are
    definitely standards and norms for pasta. Here I think the size
    of the box and shelves govern the length. Its kind of like cut
    sizes.

10. deltadoc

deltadoc

In a sort of way, it something like why car wheelbases are a certain measurement that relates back through history to the wheel base of chariots.

Romans conquered most of Europe. Their chariots made ruts in the roads, wagons needed to have wheel bases commensurate with the chariot ruts, and when cars were invented, their wheelbases were made to fit the same ruts in all the unpaved roads.

Now that there are mostly paved roads, the measurement continues without question.

Yes, somewhere someone invented an automatic pasta commercial machine, and had fittings made to fit it.

SOmeone else made another machine so that it would use the same size fittings.

Pretty soon, they become "standard" sizes.

Or something like that! :)

doc

11. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kuan,
    I haven't read all the posts and I'm probably repeting someone.
    Italians have wonderful pasta machines. The difference between American and Italian is simple. In Italy a person is running the machine. In American a machine is running the machine,:smokin