Pasta kneading

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I'm trying to work out a way to knead pasta dough with a stand mixer. I recently screwed up one wrist, so hand kneading is problematic.

1. 110g flour per egg in the processor, add a dab of water only if it won't come together at all.

2. Form ball, wrap and autolyze 20 minutes.

3. Knead at low speed with dough hook.

Any thoughts? How long to knead? Will this work?

Thanks.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I knead with stand mixer and dough hook generally. Knead time depends a bit on the pasta type. Longer for semolina-flour-egg and less for just flour-egg or flour-egg-oil. When the ball is cohesive, cleans the bowl and looks right I stop. If the mixer starts straining I stop.

My technique is mix and knead. Autolyze happens in a 30-minute rest. If dough needs minor adjustments after that I either knead in a bit more flour or water.

But generally only a bit of dusting flour to make it go through the pasta machine is needed.

But to answer your question... your approach will work. But give it a bit of salt too.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
PS... you also can use the stand mixer and dough hook to make meatballs to go with that pasta!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Thanks. How do you get it to mix initially with the mixer? I've found many ideas, the most common being: mix eggs with paddle on 2, add half the flour until worked together (20-30 seconds), add remaining flour until bound (20-30 more), autolyze, knead 5 minutes with hook.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It’s easier than that. Put your ingredients into the bowl and start mixing with the dough hook. I put dry first and add egg. Beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork (or whisk) if you insist. Some folks put egg first and add dry. As it mixes you’ll see it either come together or not. If not, it’s easy to see if it’s too dry and needs a bit of liquid or if it’s too wet and needs a bit more flour.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
So I now remember why I stopped trying to make pasta. I used 110g flour per large very fresh egg, and got yellow sand. I ended up adding several tablespoons of water, a bit at a time, just to get it to come together. Even so it was dry and extremely hard to work, cracking and tearing in the roller.

What's going wrong here?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
So I now remember why I stopped trying to make pasta. I used 110g flour per large very fresh egg, and got yellow sand. I ended up adding several tablespoons of water, a bit at a time, just to get it to come together. Even so it was dry and extremely hard to work, cracking and tearing in the roller.

What's going wrong here?
You need a bit more water if you're going to use a roller. An extruder would most likely work with your yellow sand.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
... or more egg. More liquid no matter what it is.

Don’t know where your ratio came from. I use 2 cup flour per 3 eggs. That’s about 135 grams or 5 ounces flour per cup if I’m not mistaken. plus a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Adjust as necessary with more liquid or flor until the dough is no longer sticky or crumbly. It’s like bread... humidity and other factors makes this more craft than science.

Rest period... did you rest AT LEAST 30 minutes unrefrigerated? Did you roll the dough AT ROOM TEMP? It’s not uncommon for the first roll at #1 to be shaggy. Fold over and roll a couple More times, then it will smooth out and can be thinned. That continues the kneading.

Pasta isn’t difficult but you seem to have a persistent error in formula, process, or expectations. Be both persistent and patient.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
PS... I just made some in food processor. Another easy way to mix and knead fast. Had to add about 3 tablespoons more water. Should have used oil but...

Latest posts

Top Bottom