Pasta in restaurants

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by avocadosammich, Sep 11, 2003.

1. avocadosammich

avocadosammich

How do restaurants prep dry pasta? It seems that it would take so long to boil the pasta as orders come in. Is there a trick for this?

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Most restaurants pre-cook pasta until about 2 minutes to al dente. They then cool the pasta on oiled baking trays and reboil them quickly at service time.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Anneke is 100% correct. Usually, there will be either a well in the cooktops that is kept just below boiling, or the responsible line cook will have a large pot of boiling water (refreshed as it boils down). As orders come in, a portion of par-cooked pasta is put in a receptable (that looks like a bain with lots of holes, with a handle) and dunked in the re-cooking bath. When it's done, it's pulled out, allowed to drain briefly, and then dumped into the saute pan with the sauce and other ingredients. Plated, finished with whatever, and ready to go. :D

4. avocadosammich

avocadosammich

Interesting! I have always wondered, thank you!

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've never liked that dump in hot water to reheat method. Something about being impatient and not letting the pasta drain properly. I've always preferred heating it in the sauce. In the "old" days, they used to keep the pasta in cold water and whenever they needed some they just fished it out! I'm glad we know better now :)

Kuan

6. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We par cooked it so it was bendable, then finish it in the pan with the sauce. This way the diner didn't have to wait the full cooking time but wouldn't be served a dish of mush.