Pasta Carbonara

Joined Oct 9, 2008
There's a Mike Royko column on the subject...

And a slightly later Royko re-take on the same subject...

Which should answer the question right there.

In short:
"...if someone wants to put ketchup on a hot dog and actually eat the awful thing, that is their right. It is also their right to put mayo or chocolate syrup or toenail clippings or cat hair on a hot dog. Sure, it would be disgusting and perverted, and they would be shaming themselves and their loved ones. But under our system of government, it is their right to be barbarians."

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Reminds me of this - but personally Meat sauce, minced onion and mustard are all I'll put on a hot dog . . . and it has to a natural casing dog at that.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I used to be able to get smoked guanciale locally, but now I use bacon mostly. I'm more of a purist when it comes to Carbonara - pork, eggs+egg yolk, pasta, sheep's milk pecorino romano and heavy on the black pepper. It's really a simple dish.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
YES ... I agree.

Pancetta would have been my choice too ... if they had any. ... I wasn't gonna go shopping around.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 4, 2011
Jon Stewart makes that little pitch in Chicago ... and he doesn't last 30-seconds. At least a dozen people would fight over the chance to give him a Sicilian necktie. That NewYork piece of cardboard and ketchup is what you all deserve in that heathen city. ... We're finished talking'.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Hey . . . Gobbaghoo . . . fugetaboutit Homeboy we got yer back.

I'm from Motown - we got a different kind of pizza. I make it at home now (Ghent, NY).

Latest posts

Top Bottom